Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

1 ISP, I need 8 computers with different Ip's

• Please log in to reply

networknewb

networknewb

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey,

My question:

Is it possible to give each computer on my network it's own IP address? I have my telus modem and a dell powerconnect 2324 for my network right now.

If I had it wired up with a server would that allow me to do it?

ANY comments on this would be excellent.

If I need to buy something to do this please tell me.

BOTTOMLINE: I need to know what to do (If possible) to have all my computers have different IP's

Advertisements

Mobious

Mobious

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
The most practical solution is to use to have your 8 computers connected to a router through your Dell switch. Then run a DHCP server on the network which will give your computers their own unique IP addresses. It is recommended that your router run the DHCP server to simplify the setup. The router will be the one to allow all of the 8 computers to access the internet using your Telus modem.

Based on the equipment that you said you already have, you only need to purchase a router.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
You should note that they will be private class IPs. That means that you can't go on the internet with them. To get on the internet the computers will actually be using the router's IP address. If you were to get public IPs for 8 computers you would be looking at multiple business grade ISP lines.