Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP Scan problem

• Please log in to reply

nondaj

nondaj

• PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Everytime I try to use my scanner feature in my All in One Printer PSC 3255 an error message comes up saying HP Director needs to close, sorry for the inconvenience.

Have tried everything, searched HP site, emailed them but to date to response or resolution to the problem. Am about to have to buy a new printer if I cannot resolve this issue. Can help?

Computer Specs:
Dell XPS400 Dimension
Dell XPS400 Dimension
XP-Pro Version 2002 SP2
Pentium ® D CPU 2.80 GHz
2.79 GHz, 2.00 GB of Ram

E Drive – Sony CD-RW CRX217 E
IDE\CD Rom Sony
F Drive – HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW
GWA4164B
Video Card – Nvidia GeForce 6800
Sound Card – Sigma Tel High Defin.
Audio CODEC

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Have you gone to HP's website and downloaded the latest drivers and applications?

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Will give that another try - tried once but got caught up in a snag when it came to the driver download but worth another try. thanks

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
If it appears in Add/Remove programs, remove it, reboot, then try the install again.

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Tried uninstalling driver and installing new one - did not work unless I did not do it correctly.

Then uninstalled printer and reinstalled - now get error message about IE6 and have tried the direction from web where you
click on HP directort
then use alt + space bar
then in window drop down click on minimize
I do get the HP Director Window to open but it is blank

and this is where I get the IE6 error I believe.

Can advise further?

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I started digging a little deeper and it seems there are others with the same problem trying to uninstall and re-install the software. Look Here
If you read the entire post there are alot of good suggestions.

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Yes, there is a lot of info there - will study all and see how I do. If frustration sets in before I resolve this issue, will just consider a new printer/scanner but certainly never again any HP products! Sounds like they not only do not make things easy but also are not helpful in the process of resolving their product problems!

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Gee forgot to thank you so much for that site to study and perhaps use.:)

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Your very welcome. I know it can be frustrating, its amazing how something so simple can become such a pain. But if it wasnt for bad code or incompatibility IT guys wouldnt have any jobs so its a blessing in disguise sometimes :)

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
JFUIO - got so tangled up in trying things that finally my printer went down completely. So I just up and uninstalled the whole printer, got out my HP disc and started all over again! Got the printer part working OK and am back to that blank screen of HP Director. Now I keep getting the IE error so maybe it is not the printer in this case but something wrong with my IE installation. So now off in that direction to see about repair/uninstall-reinstall if possible of IE6. Oh my - any suggestions you have on this issue? I hear dealing with MS's IE versions can be tricky and do NOT want IE7 again!

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Just check windows update and make sure you have the latest updates and patches. Can I ask what happened with IE7?

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
It seemed that IE7 slowed down my PC considerably and I heard that it really is for Vista which I do not have. Also there were several features on it that never did function right like email a site or a page - recipients reported they never got same.

Will check updates but usually am current with such. Also after I installed IE7 was when my scanner problem began.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
If you have a windows install disk thats the same service pack level as yours is now, there is a good utility to try.

Go to Start - Run
type: sfc /scannow

Wait for it to ask for the disk, put it in and let it finish. Reboot and see if that helps. This should help the IE problem.

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Tried your suggestion and faced several issues:

1 - have done this scan before without XP-Pro disc in CDRom drive and it just "did its thing" and there seemed to be no results whatsoever. I expected either a "all A-OK" or "you have issues etc." The scan window just closed and that was that.

2 - on your suggested put XP Disc in drive and did the scan again. Now I could not find out what SP version is on the disc though I do know I have SP2 now on my system. Results were the same - scan ran, closed but no notification of any results. Unless no news is good news.

So now not sure what to do next re finding out how to fix whatever seems to be wong with my IE6 according to the error message I get when I try to access HP Director. I would do a bitmap of the error message but I cannot seem to successfully send bimaps to this site and do not know what I do wrong re the procedure. Will try again to make a bitmap, save same and send after I finish this message to you.

Any further ideas re IE6? Have found a site on MS that gives some suggestions and will run through those but do not expect much:(

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Will attempt to send bitmap of IE6 error message.

Have to give up I guess - seems it uploads to a certain point and then it stos. The file is 2.25 MB is that too large?