Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP Scan problem

• Please log in to reply

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Just checked for Windows updates re HP Director problem and it is saying Pack 3 is a critical update. Have heard conflicting reports about this update re its usefulness and problem creating aspects - have you anything to report on this?

Advertisements

street1

street1

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Try here repair IE 6--->http://www.bleepingc...orial71.html#xp

Edited by street1, 09 August 2008 - 03:59 AM.

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Tried your URL and found yet another lure to buy a registry cleaner program. Have been cautioned by one tech on GeeksToGo, whom I greatly respect as he has never steered me wrong yet, about all the registry programs out there. He feels they most times do more to confuse a problem than they really help and it is best to leave the registry alone unless of course one is a very advanced tech. Which needless to say I am not:)

Am attempting IE6 repair through MS URLs but so far no luck as nothing has yet addressed my problem.

Do thank you for your effort to help and if you have other suggestions more than willing to attempt them.

And of course I resist spending money to correct a problem that should be corrected by the HP staff themselves - which unfortunately they have failed to address either by email or on line information. So I struggle on.:)

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
CCleaner is a registry cleanup tool, Ive deployed it over a network of more than 250 workstations, without a single issue. Now its not a "repair" tool but it does cleanup some of the junk that apps leave behind and windows doesnt need.

Ive also deployed SP3 across the same network without any issues, but I never used windows update. I go to the microsoft site, download the update then install, I dont trust it doing it through windows update.

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Several issues to address:

1 - I use AFT Cleaner (recommended by the tech here of which I spoke); would also using CCleaner be overkill?

2 - if I updated to SP3 and found any issues, can it be uninstalled and revert back to SP2? Or would one have to reinstall windows and then update to SP2? A dauting aspect I would hate to have to encounter.

3 - I find it interesting that you do not rely on automatic/install update of windows. I used to also manually update all the time and then for some reason went to notify but I install updates. Think I will revert back now to my monitoring the process and see if I do better.

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Went ahead and installed SP3. At first was horrified to note that log on 'stuck' and I had to hot boot PC off. So waited few minutes and then logged back on prepared for major problems! But all seems well so far - keeping fingers crossed.

Unfortunately has not corrected anything around my HP Director problem.

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Only problem I am having with SP3 is all windows are opening very slowly epecially when I first log on. Can do anything to speed this up?

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Have encountered another problem that really concerns me. Am still wrestling with trying to fix a problem with my IE6. In trying to do so have put my XP Pro disc in drive but I get message I must have disc with SP3! I cannot afford to buy another XP disc! What does this mean?

When I went from SP1 to SP2 I did not have this problem so am puzzled why upgrading from SP2 to 3 I now need another disc. Can advise?

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I have not seen that before, if you need to install something you can just download from the Microsoft site as well. That will remove any CD corruption issues.

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
What I was trying to do is repair IE6 as I was getting error messages about it. Along the way in following MS directions, it says to put in XP pro disc to get a file from there. But when I put in the disc, got this message that I need to put in my XP Pro SP2 disc!

So if this continues to be a problem can I uninstall SP3 and return to SP2? I do not cotton to having to reinstall Windows altogether from my XP Pro SP2 disc. Being a teacher I have a huge amount of business files on my PC plus am connected to the big school computer with lots of info that I do not want to lose.

Plus since not to adept at advanced PC issues - am viewing all this with some alarm.

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Yes you can unistall, or use the system restore point it created before it upgraded.

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Ah good - before I run off in a panic however will wait see more of how much a problem the SP3 proves to be to me. Then if have issue with SP3 will try a system restore/uninstall. Not sure which is the least problematic.

Again thanks for following along and keeping me posted re this matter.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I hope we get it resolved for you.

nondaj

nondaj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
Oh I am sure it will turn out OK in the end. Have never had a PC problem yet that I could not eventually, with help, resolve to a positive finish.:)