Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

poorly installing ram came with consequences...

• Please log in to reply

junesue

junesue

• Pip
  • 1 posts
my computer is, i believe a 2003 model emachines computer, with 756 mb of ram, windows xp sp2, and two hard drives, nvidea gforce fx 5500, and is a desktop.

I took a piece of ram from an older computer which had it's motherboard some how break down, i figured the ram would still be ok. i tried to put it in my computer but since it wouldn't snap in correctly i thought i could kinda just leave it there hanging with only one side snapped in.

i tried to turn on my computer and when my computer operated normally this green light around the power button would light up and everything would work fine.

however, when i just kinda left the new ram hanging there nothing even showed up on the monitor screen. it didn't even show anything, nor did the monitor even turn on. it was like a turned off tv. it didn't make any twinng or turning on sound.

so i decided to take out the ram i foolishly did not securely put in, and just put back my old ram, restored the computer completely back to how it used to be when it was working, and tried to turn the computer back on.

and the result was:

my computer turned on, however it would still not connect to the monitor and the monitor was still acting like a blank screen, but i know that monitor is fine because i didn't mess with it at all and it was working perfectly before i tried to put in new ram without secruring it properly... so i dont know what's wrong.

the main thing that makes me suspect something is wrong is that the green light that turns on when the emachines computer turns on is gone, it wont even blink. when the computer is turned on the green light should also be on... so i dont know what i did wrong.

solutions i've tried are putting in the basic ram the computer came with only, and booting the computer back up, but the monitor still wouldn't connect.

im going to try to take the video card out and just do everything over again, and plug the monitor into the motherboard and see if that fixes anything, im just reconnecting everything but it's not working..

so yes, for some reason, even though i put my computer back to normal, it wont connect to the monitor and the green light is not turning on. and i have a feeling it's because of me loosely securing that piece of ram. if anyone knows of any solutions please tell me. also what worries me is when i press down more than a few keys on my keyboard the computer wont start beeping like it usually does..

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G

Please read these instructions carefully & follow them exactly....

Firstly, a few of precautions to follow each time:
- make sure when you are working inside the computer, that you don't touch the metal contacts on any of the cards/memory modules/sockets etc. Do not handle or touch any of the components or motherboard more than you have to.
- before opening up the case or working on the computer, discharge your static by touching something metal that's fixed to the floor. e.g. metal pipe/radiator etc. Better still, wear an anti-static strap if you have one!
- never place any of the components on carpet or other surfaces that are likely to generate static.
- before working on the computer, always make sure you have removed the power cord from the back first.

I am assuming here that there IS power going to the motherboard. In other words, when you turn the computer on, the cpu fan & the power supply fan spin up, in which case, follow the instructions given below. HOWEVER, if there is absolutely no power to the system then ignore the instructions below & let me know.

1) Disconnect the power, open up the case & disconnect the main internal power connector from the motherboard. This is the large rectangular connector with approx 20 wires going into it.

2) From what you said, it sounds like you may have 2 video cards. i.e. 2 ports that the monitor can connect to. One of which is the Nvidia FX5500 one, and one which is integrated into the motherboard. If I am right about this, then please remove the Nvidia card & connect the monitor to the integrated port instead. If however you only have the one video card/port and it is removeable, then please remove it. You won't have anything to connect the monitor to if you do that, but that's ok. Either way, LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU DID....

3) Next, remove all the memory modules from the system

4) Locate the bios battery. This is a silver flat round battery which will be on the motherboard. Carefully remove this battery. Wait a few minutes, then reinsert it. Make sure you reinsert it the right way up with the '+' side on the top.

5) Make sure all USB devices are unplugged. If you have a USB keyboard, then you may leave this plugged in.

6) If you have any PCI/PCI-E add-on cards (e.g sound card/modem/network etc) then please remove them.

7) reconnect the main internal power lead to the motherboard. Note this is keyed and only fits one way round so don't force it. Just make sure the 2 centre notches line up.

8) Reconnect the external power cord & switch the machine on.

9) With no memory (and possibly no video) installed, the system will not boot at all. This is fine. All I want to know is whether you hear any beeps or not....