Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

usb drive encryption

• Please log in to reply

pr0n

pr0n

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
I've been searching and searching for a good drive encryption program. I use my drive in tons of different computers every day and they do change. sol installing a program like truecrypt on every computer isn't really an option. I need a program that can run from my flash drive without having to install (it would be nice if it was automatic) and just ask for a password and let me in. or do I need to just invest in one of these new fangled secure drives?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
personally i use an IronKey....not the cheapest drive on the market...but by my account it's the most secure...it does hardware encryption so you don't have to worry about installing any software anywhere, it's got military grade security (physically by being waterproof and with regards to data it uses 256bit AES)...i love the thing...just plug it in...type in a password and you're on your way

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
actually your a lot closer to the solution than you think. The answer is truecrypt. Instead of installing it on the pc, you extract it to the usb drive and then run truecryp format utility.

Here is a guide: http://www.juand.ca/...usb-thumbdrive/
Keep in mind it is for a fairly old version of truecrypt, so the screens/options are going to be different.

If you don't mind buying a new drive, check out IronKey

check that... truecrypt 6.0 usb guide: http://www.makeuseof...h-truecrypt-60/

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
I've gone through the 6.0 guide and encrypted my usb drive.

1)don't install truecrypt. Extract to your local system. Copy folder to usb key. Run program from local hard drive and not from usb key to configure and encrypt.

2)at the end, after you move the data to the encrypted volume, you still need to have truecrypt.exe in the root so you can mount the drive.

I haven't had time to play with this to much. I suspect that there is a way to make it automount. If you figure that out, please let me know.

pr0n

pr0n

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
I've thought about the iron key. but $120+ for a huge 4GB ironkey when I've got an 8GB smaller than a quarter for only $20 (wholesale) and I've only gotta keep the information from the average computer user so I don't need fort knox on my key ring :) so I'll wait on the ironkey for now till prices come down and it gets some competition. until then I'll try out the truecrypt the way you talked about maybe I could make a tiny unencrypted partition to hold the truecrypt exe and an auto executing batch file that throws it in root. I'll let you know if I find anything interesting :) or if it comes down to it I'll just put all my secure files in an encrypted zip folder and see how that works

thanks guys

Edited by pr0n, 07 August 2008 - 11:30 AM.