Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Unable to Use Recovery Console

• Please log in to reply

TerryL

TerryL

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
I'm having exactly the same initial log in problems trying to get into Windows with my desktop (detailed on another topic) but this relates to problems with my laptop, which has moved on.

Here is a list of what's happened so far:

Ran a Super AntiSpyware scan.

Tried to re-boot computer but it would get to the Welcome to Windows screen - wait a minute or two, and then start re-booting.

Going back to last known configuration did not work.

Safe mode got to welcome to Windows screen but then went into re-booting as above.

Eventually used the HP Recovery Disks to get laptop to boot - back to August 2006, but hard drive working fine.

Used file recovery software to save everything to an external hard drive (I have a Windows Live OneCare backup from a couple of months ago, which I plan to use and then update that from the newer 'lost files'.)

So plan is to format C: drive and then re-install Windows and all other applications.

Booted PC into Windows and ran chkdsk /r

Plan was then to re-format hard disk using the Windows XP disk Recovery Console.

Set Up loads OK from the XP disk but when I press R it comes up with 'Set Up did not find any hard drives installed in your computer. Make sure any hard drive disks are powered on ... etc. etc

I then tried re-booting to use Set Up and it came up with 'Windows XP has not been set up on this computer... etc.'

I tried booting the PC and using CMD to see if I could format the drive from within Windows but got the following:

'Format can not run because the volume is in use by another process. Format may run if this volume is dismounted first. ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID. Would you like to force a dismount of this volume? Answered Y and got the message:

Can not lock the drive the volume is still in use.

So my XP installation disk is not seeing any hard drives so I can't re-install Windows or do anything at all using the disk, yet the hard drive is there and working as I can log in OK. I am now really stuck.

Anybody out there have any clue as to what's caused this, what's actually wrong, and more importantly what I can do next?

Cheers, and thanks for anything you can offer on this one.

Terry

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Have you gone into the BIOS to see if it recognizes any drives?

If BIOS recognizes the hard drive, and your ready to format, boot from the windows install cd, and proceed with installing windows. Word of caution, this will remove all data from your computer. See if windows can setup a fresh install.

TerryL

TerryL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Thanks for your thoughts.

As I can boot into Windows and I have a successfully completed a CHKDSK this suggests that BIOS can see drive?

My problem is that I can't do anything with the installation disk - it says there aren't any hard drives so I can't use it for anything.

There must be something fundamental (but very strange) here - I just haven't got a clue what it might be.

Terry

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
did you run: chkdsk /f /r
Then reboot.

TerryL

TerryL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I've just run CHKDSK /F/R - I have to schedule it from within Windows and then it runs on re-start - and it reported no problems.

As I say this is a very strange problem that started immediately after running a Super AntiSpyware scan.

For some reason something is stoppping Set Up and File Recovery from running properly, although obviously my hard drive is working fine.

Any other ideas welcome?

Terry

TerryL

TerryL

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
In case anyone else gets this very strange situation, the cure was to boot the laptop and to use the installed PC Recovery to format the PC and re-load Windows.

I still find it strange that a fault apparently caused by Super Antispyware (albeit a maybe corrupted version) has not been reported elsewhere?