Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

When my PC is off incoming e-mails don't get through...Any suggest

• Please log in to reply

scottd4949797

scottd4949797

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi,

When my PC is turned on I receive e-mails fine, however the moment I turn it off any e-mails that are sent whilst it's powered off never make it through. I have sent some test e-mails through via another PC just to check this out and they definitely never make it through.

Have you got any ideas why this happens?

There are 5 PC's on a small LAN (mixed Vista and XP environment) running through a server with SBS2003. Norton Internet security installed onto each PC locally.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thanks!

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
How is your email set up? Are you using the Exchange that comes with SBS2003, or are you using Outlook with POP3? Information about your email setup would be useful.

scottd4949797

scottd4949797

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi Sari,

I've set up each client PC individually to run POP3 with Outlook Express. The reason I didn't do it through SBS2003 is because our log in credentials and my external e-mail accounts are set up slightly differently (the latter is separated by a . between first and last name, whereas the login is not separated).

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Scott

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
The reason I asked about Exchange is because there are different ways of setting it up to get the mail from the ISP.

I have never heard of this - certainly, having the PC off and receiving emails once it's turned on is how it should work. Do you have your email accounts through your ISP? I'm thinking that something tries repeatedly to deliver these messages, and because the PC is off they fail, but that would be an unusual scenario, and would usually result in a failed delivery message to the sender. I assume no one is receiving those. If you have your email addresses through your ISP, do you also have Webmail access, so you can check your email if you're not at your regular computer? If you do, then try sending a test email to an account when the PC is off, then log into the Webmail and see if it's there. If it shows up but never makes it your PC, then you need to talk to your ISP.

If you could give a little more detail about how your email accounts are set up, that will help. :)

sari