Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't run anything!

• Please log in to reply

trixxlod

trixxlod

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok, basically.

I came onto my pc the other day, and it was working fine, i rebooted it and all .lnk files .exe files etc.. were not working!

i opened task manager and used the command prompt to enter.. assoc.lnk=lnkfile and the same with the .exe file.

So i thought i had it all working now and then now whenever i click on ANYTHING, any program, whatever it is i get....

"This file does not have a program associated to it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options Control Panel"

The only way im even on the internet is by using start>run> "C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" > i then get the erorr of unknown file type, so i choose from list and click firefox.

I have no idea what is wrong but if you could help that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Advertisements

heat123

heat123

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
If you are using Windows XP click start then all programs then accessories then system tools then system restore. Try to restore your computer to an earlier date when it was working fine. If not reply and say it didn't work more stuff to try.

trixxlod

trixxlod

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
System restore comes up with the same error, "This file does not have a program associated to it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options Control Panel", =[

heat123

heat123

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
You might want to take a look at this link with the same problem and try these things if you want. http://www.geekstogo...o-p-t90753.html

heat123

heat123

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Do you still need help, having problems, or got it fixed? Please reply and tell me what happened

heat123

heat123

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Do you still need help, having problems, or got it fixed? Please reply and tell me what happened.

Edited by heat123, 25 August 2008 - 04:27 PM.

Scott Mead

Scott Mead

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
have you changed any of the drive letters? or has the drive letter changed? And all your installed programs is trying to open from a drive that is no longer.

heat123

heat123

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
That is a good point Scott Mead but the problem is he hasn't responded. Lets see if trixxlod ever responds and then we will try to get this problem fixed.

Scott Mead

Scott Mead

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I had a computer in the past that got all the drive letters changed around when I hooked up a usb external harddrive.