Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer keeps crashing

• Please log in to reply

sleekchimera

sleekchimera

• Pip
  • 4 posts
i have a packard bell imedia 1625 desktop computer which is 3yrs old, it has crashed to many times to mention, because it had been under warranty it has been getting repaired through that. everytime the psu has been replaced as it broke down. the psu in the conp at the moment is an iso-40099 and is 300watts. can anyone recommend a better psu that can be fitted to my computer and should i get and extra fan for inside the desktop also to help with the temp problems. (psu been replaced 3 times already) maybe it another problem and the psu is breaking down because of it. sorry if this sounds messed up as im not very tech minded. thanx

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Three PSU failures in one warranty session is unusual. Normally a overheating problem doesn't affect the PSU because it's designed to work in hot conditions, on the basis that hot air rises.
Your problems sound like they may be caused by other means, possibly something you're plugging in, or your electricity supply.

byrddawg

byrddawg

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Try looking at the heat sink. It may need to be cleaned.

sleekchimera

sleekchimera

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
comp is crashing because of cpu overheating because fan in psu stops working properly. when psu is replaced it works fine again, the psu unit is a 300watt unit would a higher watt psu work better? have to replace the unit now myself and want to know what the best one to replace it with. when i say my comp crashes it turns off randomly for a while then just stops working altogether and have 2 reinstall windows and i lose everything on the comp. i have another comp an e-machines and was plugged into same power supply as the packard bell and never had any problems with it. i changed it because i wanted a faster comp because i was using the internet alot. the e-machines comp is now 5yrs old has been dropped and still going strong. :)

Edited by sleekchimera, 08 August 2008 - 07:12 AM.

sleekchimera

sleekchimera

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
where is the heat sink?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
If the fan in the PSU fails then this isn't related to the CPU overheating, more rather the PSU is overheating. The two are not related. Any decent PSU should be fine rather than the warranty replacement ones because they tend to be of the same inferior quality as the one that was in originally. Your symptoms of failing hardware and new installations of Windows are indeed PSU related.

sleekchimera

sleekchimera

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
the psu that is in comp at moment is 300watt what do you think would be a better wattage to go for. :)

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
The wattage isn't the issue.
The quality of the unit itself is more important. You can quite easily have an 800w unit that's inferior to a 300w unit. The fact it puts out more watts is effectively irrelevant if its of lower quality.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Sometimes there are settings in BIOS or there is software in Windows related to fan operation. Make sure any BIOS settings are correct and check to see if there is fan control software for your model.