Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAM

• Please log in to reply

mystery_man_

mystery_man_

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Murray I have changed post you can delete it , tnx for advice about topics and RAM.

Also in RAM you have some PC2 things , is that any factor? For example my current is PC2-5200 but I was looking about the 2nd ram and they don't have 5200 but 4200 , but the MHZ is the same.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
PC2 tells you it's DDR2 memory.
PC5200 memory is effectively the same as PC5300 aka DDRII 667. Some manufacturers label this as PC4300, PC5400 and PC5300.

mystery_man_

mystery_man_

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Where can I check for bus speed the easyest and be sure its correct?

mystery_man_

mystery_man_

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
CPU bus hyper-transport link clock 1000mhz , this is not the right one I think..

In memory it says current memory clock 244mhz , my RAM is 1GB , and memory speed is 266.7Mhz ( 4200 ) ( Thought its 533mhz based that the ram is 1GB 533mhz PC2-4200.... im confussed and not sure about anything now.

Edited by mystery_man_, 07 August 2008 - 05:32 PM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
If you have an AMD CPU, then the Hyper-Transport link clock is the AMD equivalent of a Front Side Bus (FSB).

DDR = Double Data Rate. Your RAM operates at an underlying speed of 266.7mhz, but it manages to send two instructions per clock cycle, giving it an effective speed of 533mhz.

As for why your memory seems slightly underclocked at 244mhz instead of 266.7mhz, it is most likely due to the FSB:RAM ratio you are currently using.

mystery_man_

mystery_man_

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Btw whats the difference betwen DDR and DDR2 , if DDR operates at a double rate and that also goes for DDR2 so whats the effective difference betwen them?
Btw thanks for the help , now im more confident about buying the right RAM , I saw they got the same one as I have in shop 1GB ddr2 533mhz same pc2. :)

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts

[DDR2 SDRAM] is an evolutionary improvement over its predecessor, DDR SDRAM. ... The key difference between DDR and DDR2 is that in DDR2 the bus is clocked at twice the speed of the memory cells, so four bits of data can be transferred per memory cell cycle. Thus, without speeding up the memory cells themselves, DDR2 can effectively operate at twice the bus speed of DDR.

mystery_man_

mystery_man_

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
hm , I thought my ram bus speed should then be around 133, since it works 1/4 clock cycle , 133x4 = 533~

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Bus speed is not the same as memory speed. Bus speed is the speed at which the memory communicates with the CPU, not the speed of the memory itself.