Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Gateway 506gr that wont turn on

• Please log in to reply

mjaugur

mjaugur

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a gateway 506gr desktop that I would always leave on or in sleep mode. One night I shut down the computer and came back in the morning to turn it on the computer would try to start but it seemed like there was not enough power or something and would not start up it was like it was low on power or something(like trying to start a car but the motor wont start the lights in front would light up part way then go real low then almost on then light back to low. I replaced the little battery inside the computer. After an hour or more of frustration I left the computer for the day. The next day I came back and when I plugged in the cord to the wall the light on the back of computer would not come on at all. After talking with some friends I was told to replace the power supply inside the computer. I ordered a replacement that was exactly the same thing the computer had in it when I boght it. After installing the new power supply I get the light on the back of the computer to come on and stay on and also a light on the motherboard where the plug that comes from the power supply plugs in. Thinking I had the problem solved I went to turn on the computer and have no light in the front of the computer and when the button in fronts pushed nothing happens no fans nothing at all. Any suggestions would help I dont wanna pay some dumb customer service 60 dollars for half an hour especially when theres no guarantee it will be right.

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
well if you are sure the power supply you have is good and hooked up correctly then something else is pulling it down so it won't start... Very possibly the motherboard..... you could try unplugging all power except those going to the motherboard... also unplug all drives from the board.... then try turning it on... if you get nothing I'd say your motherboard is bad or you got another bad power supply....

if it does turn on add one component at a time to see if you can issolate the cause of the no power...