Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PC shuts down "critical battery" works fine on AC

• Please log in to reply

amusinglisa

amusinglisa

• PipPip
  • 95 posts
Suddenly, my PC will not run for more than five minutes or so on battery. It gives the "critical battery alarm" as if there was <3% charge and goes into hibernation when the battery is 90% charged. I tried getting a new battery, that has not helped.

I am running Windows XP on a Compaq Presario.

Help!

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Does the new battery do the same thing? If so sounds like the charging circuits are shot... does it work okay without the battery? if so you may either need to live with it... most likely the fix would be a motherboard replacement.... you could however go to the companies website to see if it's a known issue.... maybe your battery was recalled...