Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cd-rom device drivers not found in Win98SE

• Please log in to reply

Ponyroper

Ponyroper

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
Hi, Im new here and have a problem that I think you may be able to help with. I'm a rookie but I have built a couple of computers from kits without major problems. When I installed Win98SE in the kits using the startup disk to get cd-rom support everything went fine and the installation disk started and let me install the OS. The old computer I am now trying to rebuild with upgraded parts refuses to find the generic drivers on the startup disk or the generic drivers will not run the new cd-roms I have plugged in. The installation instructions for both devices say the generic 98 drivers should run them but they don't seem to be able to. I was forced to disconnect the HD and load the Win98 folder from another computer so that I could get the OS installed on the HD but the OS still does not seem to be able to run the cd-roms. It recognises the devices but comes back with the error message, "C:\>C:\Windows\Command\MSCDEX.EXE/D:MSCD001/M:10 Devise driver not found: 'MSCD001' No valid CDROM device drivers selected". I went in and deleted the devices from devise manager and restarted the computer and the new hardware installed the devices on startup but the drivers again did not install. One of the cd-rom's had a floppy driver disk but it did not have any drivers on it, it simply changed the config.sys and autoexec.bat files for some reason. When I restarted after running the floppy one startup screen flashed the message, "The following file is missing or corrupted C:\CDROM\CDROM\CDTECH.SYS There is an error in your config.sys file on line 2". Since I know nothing about config.sys files or autoexec.bat files I simply reformated the HD and recopied the OS folder to it and reinstalled Win98 to get rid of the error. Same problem with the cd-rom drivers. I had the CD-RW drive configured as the master drive and the 52x CD-ROM drive as the slave and I tried rebooting with each one connected alone but that did not seem to make any difference-still no drivers. If anyone has any suggestions how to resolve this problem please give specific instrucions as I am not very experienced with editing the config or autoexec files or changing the BIOS. Right now the BIOS is set up to boot from A\C\CDROM and I have tried different combinations already. I tried starting with CDROM support and without CDROM support. Tried searching for drivers manually on the C drive in Win-no luck. Here is a list of the computer components:

ABIT-BE6 motherboard w/256 RAM
500mhz PIII CPU
15GB IBM HDD
52x Delta Electronics CD-ROM
HiVal 52x24x52 Rewritable drive
Standard 3.5 floppy drive
Soundblaster 'Live' card
Lucent PCI Modem
nVidia TNT2 32MB graphic card w/TV out
standard PC mouse and ketboard
old Packard Bell monitor running with the generic drivers

I have not installed any drivers for the motherboard, graphics card, modem or sound card because the cd-rom drives don't work.

I believe the HiVal burner is made by I/O Magic because the tech support reply I received was signed by a guy from I/O Magic. His advice was mostly just check the cables and make sure the jumper was set to Master. He also suggested starting sysedit and typing REM in front of any line with cdrom or mscdex in them in the config.sys and autoexec.bat files then rebooting, which I did and which made no difference. Hope this is enough information for someone to figure out my problem. Thanks.

Advertisements

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
some drivers can be found manually at c:\i386