Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

office 2007

• Please log in to reply

Angels_lou

Angels_lou

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I was given the opportunity to purchase Office 2007 @ a reduced price through my employer, which I did. But now I am weary of installing it. After talking to a couple of people I've been told that it does not have reverse compatability. Does that mean that I won't be able to access documents that I already have? Will people that don't have '07 be able to receive and work with documents that I create? What is the general opinion on '07? BTW I am using Windows XP here at home if that makes any difference. Thanks

Advertisements

Jonesey

Jonesey

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
AFAIK - you should have no trouble opening Word Documents, Excel spreadsheets or Powerpoint presentations saved in an earlier version.

The only thing which might cause a problem, though it's pretty remote, would be any formulae used in calculations which are no longer supported.

I've upgraded various times without any difficulty, but hopefully an expert will chip in soon.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Microsoft Publisher does not have backwards compatibility. Once you save a Publisher file in Office 2007, no previous version will be able to read it.
Most other programs in the Office suite should be okay backwards compatibility wise, the only other possible candidate for backwards compatibility could be Access.

Trevuren

Trevuren

Old Dog

• Retired Staff
  • 18,699 posts

Does that mean that I won't be able to access documents that I already have? Will people that don't have '07 be able to receive and work with documents that I create?

1. Yes, you will still be able to access Word documents created with previous versions of Office when you switch over to Office 2007.

2. If you are dealing with individuals who do not have Office 2007, you have 2 choices:

a. Save your documents in Office 97-2003 format which they can read and write to

or

b. Ensure that the people to with whom you are dealing do the following:

To help ensure document exchange between different Microsoft Office releases, go download and install the Compatibility Pack.

Q: What versions of Office does it apply?

A: Office 2000, Office XP, or Office 2003. The compatibility pack features will allow the user to open, edit, save, and create files in the OpenXML file formats.

Taken from: http://blogs.msdn.co...patibility.aspx

Angels_lou

Angels_lou

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you all for your input. It is very much appreciated.