Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAM speed vs FSB speed

• Please log in to reply

gman

gman

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have an Athlon XP 3000+ that runs at a FSB speed of 333 MHZ. I have 1 GB of PC-3200 DDR RAM that is rated at 400 MHZ. Should I set my RAM speed to 333 MHZ to coincide with my processor FSB or keep it at 400 MHZ for optimal efficiency? Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Hi gman, welcome to Geeks to Go! <_<

If you increase the FSB to 400mhz you'll be substantially overclocking your processor. I doubt a 3000+ has the headroom to allow this type of overclock.

gman

gman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you for the welcome. I think you accidentally misunderstood my question. I can change my RAM speed via BIOS and I'm trying to find out if I should set the speed of my RAM to 333 MHZ, which is the same as my processor FSB. The RAM is capable of 400 MHZ so I want to know which speed is the most optimal, 333 or 400 MHZ for my RAM. Once again, any help is greatly appreciated.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
If you have the option to adjust you RAM speed independently of your FSB, defiantly do it. <_< It'll increase your memory bandwidth. Increased memory bandwidth will provide increased performance mostly for gaming, but also video/audio encoding, and other intensive tasks. :D