Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Weird error when I startup vista?

• Please log in to reply

xoskullxo13

xoskullxo13

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Well..My sister has an error on her laptop, and asked me if I knew how to fix it.. I tried system restore, but it didn't work..And I am not so familiar with Vista. When I start up her laptop, this error comes up

Title - LogonUI.exe - Bad Image
C:\Windows\System32\shacct.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support.

Does anyone know how I can fix this error?

Edited by xoskullxo13, 08 August 2008 - 01:36 PM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
This problem started when she did a Service Pack upgrade. The DLL is a Shell Account DLL. So, far i have found no correct repair of this problem. There is a Microsoft website where you ,may get some help on this. I have not tried this help site.

https://support.micr...mp;gprid=500921

You also should try this just to see if it will fix the problem. It probably won't fix it but it does not hurt to try.

Click Start, then right click Computer, Click Explore
Right click the drive, choose properties. On the tools
tab, you will find error checking. This is the tool you need to run.

Use the System File Checker (SFC) to scan system files if nothing else works. The problem with this method is you may need the vista CD(DVD) to replace the corrupted file with a good one.

=====================================================

The System File Checker tool enable an administrator to scan all protected files to verify their versions. To do so, follow these steps:

1. Click "Start", type "CMD" (without quotation marks) in the "Start Search" box. Right click on the "CMD.exe" file, choose "Run as Administrator"

2. Copy and paste "SFC /Scannow" (without quotation marks) in the "Open" box, and click "OK".

Note: There is a SPACE between "SFC" and "/Scannow", this command will take several minutes to complete and may require access to the Windows installation source files. If you are prompted to insert the CD, click "Continue" each time it prompts.

After that, please restart the computer and test the issue again.

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 08 August 2008 - 04:03 PM.