Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Freecom 160 Classic External Hard Drive Error

• Please log in to reply

Pienaar

Pienaar

• Pip
  • 6 posts
My desktop's operating system is Vista Home Premium and my laptop uses XP. Both computers recognizes the External hard Drive as Disks.

When I unplug the hard drive from the USB I can hear that it unplugs and consequently hear it when I plug it back in. I cannot however, see the E.H. when I open windows explorer. The only way that I can see that something is attached through my USB to the computer is if I open the device manager. It sits under disk drives.

I had to do a restore on my desktop. Before that the EHD was recognized as a Classic External Drive and it was easy to see what's on it. Now I cannot even find it on the computer accept in the device manager.

Please help. Everything that I have backed up is on this EHD

Edited by Pienaar, 08 August 2008 - 06:53 PM.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
When you did a restore did you do a restore back in time, or did you use the Windows disk to repair the operating system? And have you been using the "Safe Remove Hardware" wizard faithfully? Your data is probably still there on the disk but some changes in the registry may have made inaccessable.

Pienaar

Pienaar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Well it's an ACER computer and I actually did the restore by switching it on and tapping the F10 key constantly. It alows me to restore system to factory default. I must admit that I did not use the "safe remove option".

I am a little concerned because both the computers (laptop-XP and desktop-VISTA) different operating systems both reads it as disks. How do I go about solving this problem. Thanks for helping.

Edited by Pienaar, 08 August 2008 - 06:52 PM.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Did any software disk come with the external drive or can you find any downloads for it from the drive maker or from ACER?

Pienaar

Pienaar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I tried the disk that was included with the EHD but Vista used an updated driver. Also used the device manager to update the driver software.