Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Router with USB connected Modem

• Please log in to reply

o0olalao0o

o0olalao0o

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Firstly - I should probably mention I know little about this stuff, so bear with me.

I just bought a D-Link wireless router. My modem is connected to my pc via a usb cable, since when we used the ethernet to ethernet cable back when we first hooked it up, it wouldn't work. So basically, that's completely not an option.

We were told to buy a wireless adapter, which seems like it's turning out to be a mistake, since a warning came up saying windows didn't recognize the logo or something. I ignored that and I'm scared something weird will happen to my computer. But that's beside the point.

Basically - how on earth do I get this wireless thing going? Preferably without the wireless adapter, since I'm pretty sure it's screwing with my computer.

I've heard about the usb to ethernet adapters, but I'd like to know more about them before I spend more money.

Thanks you SO much.

Advertisements

Mobious

Mobious

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Tell me if I got you correctly.. Before you bought your router, your computer is connected to the internet through your usb modem. Now you want to connect to the internet through your router which in turn is connected to your ISP.

How is your modem connected to your ISP? Is it through a telephone cable? or an Ethernet cable?

o0olalao0o

o0olalao0o

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
You know what? Don't even worry about it anymore (:

Turns out it works just fine, without connecting anything into my 'blue port number one'.

Thanks, though!