Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

what mother board would fit this case

• Please log in to reply

SeanCyan

SeanCyan

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi all Im new here and Im just getting into taking a computer apart and hardware so Im a bit of a novice at it all so can you guys tell me what mother board would fit this case I opened up one of my old P.C's and tried the mother board with it it didnt fit I also match up my old mother board with an atx mother board diagram on the net to be sure what type I was using Ive got some photos of the case

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I got the case for free my dad used to work at a factory where they put em together sadly I also didnt get a power supply wid it and also a manuel

thanks for the help

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
In what way doesn't it fit. Do you mean that the screw holes on the motherboard don't line up with those in the case?

SeanCyan

SeanCyan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
the screw holes and where the out put dosient fit into the cases holes so I assumed I was using the wrong type of mother board

Posted Image

Edited by SeanCyan, 01 May 2005 - 03:45 PM.

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
Your motherboard comes with its own back panel usually- its own "output" backpart for it- if its not included contact your manufactor and order it

SeanCyan

SeanCyan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
ah thats understandable but why dont the screw holes line up to the mother board screw holes?

Edited by SeanCyan, 02 May 2005 - 07:12 AM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

ah thats understandable but why dont the screw holes line up to the mother board screw holes?

View Post

Usually because either the case or the motherboard is proprietry. ie made by one of the big computer manufacturers such as Dell or HP.

Have a look on the case for a manufacturers name then have a look on the motherboard for a name also.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
that is an HP/compaq case. it might not accept a standard ATX mobo. if it will, you will probably need standoffs to place between the risers and the mobo (so you dont short the mobo against the extra risers).
also, for CD drives, etc, you will need to load screws into the sides of the drives, then slide them in, by pressing the yellow tab and sliding the green bar up.

SeanCyan

SeanCyan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Im sorry Im still a newbie risers? stand off? oh yes there is one thing I noticed where the mother is ment to be screwed in theres the mother boards seat whitch looks like it can come off but its not budging oh yes I appreciate the help and Im willing to buy a new mother board one thats up to date Ive got all the other components from old P.C's anything I need off hand Ill buy but the only three things I really need help with is the mother board and the power supply and then I whant to see how it goes from there

Edited by SeanCyan, 03 May 2005 - 07:13 AM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
'stand offs' are spacers - the brass or plastic mounts that seperate the motherboard from the case. The brass spacers are the ones that go into the screw holes in the case & must line up with the holes in the motherboard.

If the case is made by HP/compaq then that confirms what I thought about it being a proprietry case. A lot of them do have a second metal plate fixed inside the case for the motherboard mounting.
This plate is often riveted on & therefore not removable. Even if it does come out, you would need to get another one that fits your mobo to replace it. In fact, the only way round that would be to make more screwholes in the existing plate that match those in the motherboard. This normally requires special tools & is not really worth the effort.

If I were you, I would buy a new case instead. You can get a case (with or without a power supply) for very little money these days. Most new motherboards will fit in a standard ATX midi tower case but obviously make sure any case you buy does support the motherboard before you buy it.

One more thought has just occured to me....I don't know how old your current motherboard is or what it is, but theres still a small chance that the case is OK but instead its the motherboard that is either proprietry or very old.

Can you see a manufacturers name printed on the board and can you tell me what cpu socket it has. (if the socket is a flat square one, there should be something written on it, eg socket 7 or 370 etc)

SeanCyan

SeanCyan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
well thats ok then so I should just get a standard atx midi case Ive seen some of them in shops do you know any good web sites for computer components for newbies like me lol anyway dont worry about the old mother board its in pretty bad shape there's even selotap to glue the graphics card in place thats how bad it is lol and that was there when we bourght it lol no for now Im gonna get a new mother board all the other components of the old computer are allright well since Ive got to get a new case anyway might aswell make it a funky one :tazz:

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Can probably recommend some websites for computer components, what country do you live in?

SeanCyan

SeanCyan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I live in Great Britain, england and by the way thanks for all ya help guys

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Thats handy as I'm also in England so am far more familiar with the suppliers.
Try these sites first :

www.ebuyer.com
www.aria.co.uk
www.eclipsecomputers.com

ebuyer is about the cheapest of the three, but they are all pretty good. I've used all of them in the past when ordering components for custom builds etc.