Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sleep mode after xp logo

• Please log in to reply

artage

artage

• Pip
  • 4 posts
A relative of mine asked me to fix their computer but I'm really stuck on this one. I can't get into Windows without the monitor going into a sleep-like mode after the XP logo screen. The light on the monitor becomes a yellowish green. I could boot to safe mode but it's really slow. I tried uninstalling the video drivers and was able to boot into Windows normally. As soon as I install the drivers or any version the above problem happens again. I don't have another PCI-E video card to try. I've also tried another power supply. What are the chances it's the card or the motherboard?

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
It's more likely to be the Card then the Motherboard. Though I'm more leaning to think that the drivers are not the right ones.
Are you sure you downloaded the right drivers?

Regards,
Olrik

artage

artage

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for your reply :)
I don't think it's a driver issue. They never had this problem before until recently. I even tried the default drivers but still no good.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hmm. Does sound like his Graphic card might have gone to dreamland.
Did the friend your helping say when this started? And if he installed anything before this happend?

Regards,
Olrik

artage

artage

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I was told this started to happen after he opened up his case and cleaned the inside. Maybe he wasn't careful enough. I've tried just about everything in Windows. I will get a new card and see how that goes.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Definitely sounds like the card went kaput.
If there was a lot of dust the chance would've been even higher.

Regards,
Olrik

artage

artage

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I decided to reinstall Windows as a last resort before purchasing a new card. I installed the drivers and it actually worked. It seems the problem was the refresh rate. My monitor can handle 85 without a problem on my own system but on this system anything over 60 and the monitor goes off. This probably wouldn't have happened if they brought along their monitor. Sorry for all the trouble. :)

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
It was no trouble at all :)
Keep in mind that if you removed the drivers properly you wouldn't have needed a re-install.
For further notice, you can follow steps below to get rid of a driver.

Ok, lets remove a driver from the device manager
  • Go to Start -> Run.
  • In the Box, type in "devmgmt.msc".
  • Look for the following: " >> text here << "
  • Right click that device and select "Un-install"

(Note that this was a canned speech.)

I hope it helps in the future.

Regards,
Olrik