Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

post smitfraud questions

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 3 posts

I was infected with the Smitfraud trojan horse, but came to this website, followed the instructions, and was able to get rid of most of the infection, meaning I now have control of my desktop and do not get blue screens of death anymore. A couple of issues that I believe belong to the virus still remain and I wanted to see if you could point me in the right direction or discussion where I am sure these questions have already been answered.

1) I still get that yellow warning icon in the bottom right taskbar area that says "Windows has dectected spyware..." It's more of a nuisance than anything, but I would still like to take it off.

2) Much more important- as a result of the virus, the homepage of my web browser has been set to some random (albeit benign site) which I cannot overwrite AND has taken several words (such as "home", "free", "you",...) and changed them into links that go back to the new homepage. For example, if I go to espn.com and want to check the results of the Cleveland-Kansas City game, if I click on that link, it will take me back to the new homepage because "city" is one of the target words.

I am sure I'm not the first to run across this problem, so I am not going to post my Hijack This log or AdAware scan result because I'm pretty sure the question has been answered elsewhere on the site. Please point me in the right direction.