Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

EPOX 8RDA startup failure

• Please log in to reply

pilotfrog7

pilotfrog7

• Pip
  • 7 posts
:tazz:
The computer uses an Anthalon 2100, 512 MB generic PC 2700, A-Open CD R/W, Sony DVD, MSI getforce4 64mb video card, IBM 60GB 120GXP hard drive, & Win 98se. I never really tried to overclock it. It has 2 case fans, 350 w ps with 2 fans, and a big Thermotake vortex cooler. It always ran cool for the few hours it did run.
I purchased this computer as a burned-in barebone from Access-Micro which is no longer in business. I installed Win 98se but could not get the onboard sound to work. Retailer gave me number to contact Epox support and they said it was a Win 98 issue and I had to use Win 2000 or XP. I suspected something wrong with the onboard sound but got involved with other project so put in on back burner. Otherwise the machine ran ok. This was quite a while back. I recently purchased Win XP pro OEM and decided to install. The computer had been setting back in its box for close to a year. As I recall Win 98se is still on the HD as the OS.
Upon power up I did not get a display for POST. The monitor has power but does not have a display. Got a series of beeps then a claxon wail like a French police car. BIOS seems to be searching for a bootable device as it accesses the HD, CD ROM, then the DVD and then stops except for the wailing sound. The computer is indeed in distress. I checked the diagonstic LED and initially on power up it shows FFh(mainboard, Bios, or unplugged card)then it steadily displays C1h(memory problem). I checked the video card and memory sticks(2 generic 256K pc2700)but they appear well seated and making good contact in their respective slots.
Could it be the CMOS battery that is dead? I would have to remove it to check it with A VM. Appears to have a little clip that needs to be pressed in to release it?? Regardless it seems that BIOS should start up on the defaults even with a dead battery. The bios has never been flashed with a new uplated version. The computer was working when it was last put up. Could it be the BIOS using the wrong timing or multiplier for memory. I need a display which I do not have to check Bios settings. I really suspect the bios chip itself. Nothing back from Epox yet.
Any solutions or sugestions would be welcome.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts

. Got a series of beeps then a claxon wail like a French police car

This code is cpu overheat, make sure the cpu fan is spinning, if not spinning check its connection to the motherboard (mobo)

Check that the hs (heatsink) is not loose

You may have to remove the hs and clean and reapply thermal paste. If the hs is loose or you do have to remove it and need directions post back

Rick

pilotfrog7

pilotfrog7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks Rick,
I did not know that the claxon was cpu overheat. I added the cooler and vortex pipe and used Artic Silver 3 on the hs back then. The cpu fan is running but I will check the thermal contact on the cpu. The overheat warning starts 10 to 15 seconds after power up on a cold cpu. Would this cause no display on POST?

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Yes it could cause no post

pilotfrog7

pilotfrog7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Still nothing from EPox but this is the weekend. I have an old phone # & will call tomorrow. ANYONE KNOW OF THE PHONE NO. FOR EPOX TECH? Toll free would be nice.
This is what I have so far on my research and your feedback for the codes on the Award bios. The series of short beeps--memory problem. The hi-lo tone-CPU failure or overheat. As for the 80 port LEDs: FFh-mobo or unseated card, C1h-memory problem. According to the mobo manual, which I just about have memorized by now, CPU overheat is a constant hi pitch tone. I think the wise thing to do is chat with EPox before I go tearing through the thing and render it unsalvagable. Fustration has a way of producing those results for me. Will post on what they say.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
well Epox tec will tell you about the same thing I did about the beep code. (french police siren)

Check for loose hsf
Check to see cpu fan is working
Replace thermal compound

Rick

pilotfrog7

pilotfrog7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
:tazz:
Rick, YOU WERE RIGHT ON!
I decided to pull hs. Artic Silver 3 thermal compound was all dried up. I read an article back when I used it. Said the stuff had to be redone every 6 mo or so. Was over a year - you don't use it you loose it!!! Don't know if Artic Silver 5 is the fix?? Know of anything better?
Anyhow, had enough of the AS 3 stuff left to redo mine. Used denatured alcohol to remove old stuff. Put back together and she booted right up into Win 98. Checked temp in CMOS-a very cool 38 deg C. Was set to warn at 60 and power off at 65. Now to load XP and see if I can get sound and the DVD to work.
Thanks again

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Your welcome

I have never used Artic silver 3 but Artic silver 5 is the best I know of never had a complaint about it but its unclear if any of my customers have left thier computer off for a year.

The most common problem with 5 is how to install so goto the Artic silver website for instructions on how to apply but in general if you spread it as thin as possible using a piece of credit card its pretty much fool proof.

Anyhow, had enough of the AS 3 stuff left to redo mine. Used denatured alcohol to remove old stuff. Put back together and she booted right up into Win 98. Checked temp in CMOS-a very cool 38 deg C. Was set to warn at 60 and power off at 65. Now to load XP and see if I can get sound and the DVD to work.

Perfect you can't clean, apply, or get better temps then that on air cooling!!!!!

Rick