Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Problem with hard drive/motherboard (Not sure)

• Please log in to reply

Tandy

Tandy

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi my name is Andy and i've got a problem with my Dell Dimension E520 Desktop PC...

Recently i wanted to move my computer downstairs, for the use of everyone. So i picked it up and started to walk down the stairs i missed a footing and slipped, dropping the tower 6-7 Steps. With it hitting each one and then finally hitting the Wooden floor on its front.

Now there was only some external damages being the Dvd drive cover coming off and some denting meaning the dvd cover cannot be put back on.

However, i reconnected it all after opening it up and checking for loose cables/broken parts and there was nothing. After i reconnected everything i turned it on and the lights came on, The fan started as normal, But on the screen an error message came up saying press F1 To continue, When i pressed F1 nothing happened and the fan sped up and sped up and sped up till it started sounding like a jet engine at which point it turned itself off.

Now when i turn it on i get no error message on the monitor and the fan does the same.

If you've read this far then Thankyou. Here's my question:

I don't mind about losing the actual computer, But i have important files on the Hard drive that i need to have access to ASAP. Is there any way i can attach the hard drive to another Computer/Laptop and access/view the files?

Here are the specifications:

-Dimension E520 Pentium D 820 Processor Dual Core (2.80Ghz, 800Mhz FSB, 2x1MB cache)
-250GB Serial ATA II 7200rpm ULD Hard Drive
-Memory Dual Channel 1024MB (2x512) 533MHz DDR2
-Windows XP

Thankyou for reading this and i hope someone can help.

-Andy

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The first thing that comes to mind here is the CPU heatsink has come loose or lost the connection to the CPU so the processor keeps speeding up the fans until the temp hits the critical mark and shuts itself down. Intel CPU's do have this feature built-in to them. I found this out one time when i left the heatsink off a new build on a intel 2.4. I ended up having to reset the Cmos( jumper on motherboard) to get it to start up after fixing the heatsink properly.

The dell is asking you to hit the F1 key because it cannot find the operating system. Something else that may be the problem is that you may have the computer to boot first from the cdrom drive( maybe DVD?)and the computer can't find it. or the HD. If you have a XP CD you can check in the bios, by hitting the F2 key, that you do have the cdrom drive as first boot. If not set it so and see if you can boot off the XP CD, then see if you get an error if you try to do anything else. You may get a hard disk error that tells you the hard drive had been damaged.

You should be able to hook the hard drive into another computer internally to check it , but i prefer to use a USB adapter kit i bought. Either way, if it does not let you see the hard drive you have probably damaged the read-write heads in the drive and unless you want to spend a lot of money recovering the data off each disk thru a Recovery company, everything is probably gone. Either the drive will work or not here. There usually is no in-between where it kinda works.

If you can access the drive in another computer you may have to take ownership of the folders and files to access them.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

Good luck with your endeavor here.

SRX660

Tandy

Tandy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the reply, i'll try these when i get back home.

Should be very helpful, Cheers.

Oh, And do you have a link to where i can buy a USB Adaptor for the hard drive?

Edited by Tandy, 09 August 2008 - 09:53 AM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I have a IDE and a Sata external enclosure by Bytecc and have had no problems from them. Your still spending $20 just to check your HD,so i would find a friend so you can test your HD in their computer before buying one of these. New 250 Gig sata II drives can be found for $65.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817145038

SRX660