Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Graphics problem

• Please log in to reply

Trippster

Trippster

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
I have been having this problem in the last day or two with my video card where my screen gets like the picture attached (or use the link). I thought it was a team fortress 2 problem but now it just happened when nothing was running (except aim and peer guardian)

After the first tf2 crash last night I updated my graphics driver and just today did a directx test and everything seems normal...after this post Im going to open the case and check the cables and fan, and get it cleaned out. (*Edit I opened and vacuuming out some dust, though there wasn't much, and the fan is spinning at what seems to be normal speed) *Another update...problem is getting worse, now im getting distorted text during boot-up and green vertical streaks on the BIOS and XP boot screens. Im thinking about calling pny now.

Graphics card - pny Nvidia 8800 GTS
OS - XP Pro

Heres the link to an example of what my screen looks like.

Attached Thumbnails

• example.JPG

Edited by Trippster, 09 August 2008 - 01:30 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
That would look like defective graphics card memory. If the card's under warranty, have it replaced.

Trippster

Trippster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
well it is the video card, my friend has the same one (though not pny) and it worked fine in my system. However mine is getting worse, now I can't boot normally, it cant display the login screen so I have to boot safe mode. I put in an RMA but Im not sure what they will do as this card is no longer manufactured.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
If the card is under warranty but its no longer manufactured then you would be entitled to a like-for-like replacement - a card similar to what you have now but not necessarily the same. Like if you had a hard drive replaced, it would most likely be the same size but possibly a different manufacturer, but at the end of the day its still a hard drive.

Trippster

Trippster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
Ok so the company sent me a new 9800 GX2 with 1GB of memory. I had to buy a new case and psu for it to even fit and have proper power. So I got it all rebuilt yesterday and now the 9800 doesn't work either.... I use two monitor's, and when I boot i get scattered blue pixels and yellow lines on my main monitor...then once its booted the display switches to my second monitor and my main one goes black with blue pixels scattered on it. Device manager shows one of the Geforce 9800 GX2 with an error and says this device cannot be started. I've tried reinstalling the drivers a million times and messing with the display properties but nothing works.

I also did switch the property for not using both processor's so I can run dual displays...but it will still only recognize one monitor.

Any ideas?

Edited by Trippster, 05 September 2008 - 08:07 AM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
Failure of two graphics cards is rare especially at the price tag of the 8800 and the 9800 cards, how big a PSU did you buy?
Try this again on your friend's system, but your stuff in his computer.

Failing this there may be some sort of hardware conflict between your system and the cards. Without knowing what other bits you have inside we can't say.