Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 -> Ipod charges but does

• Please log in to reply

orfeo

orfeo

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,

I've been having this problem with my firewire care which i use to plug my ipod into my PC (P4 2.3GHz, 512MB, XP, Dell). It will charge the ipod no problem but it refuses to connect (so i can't put songs on it). Before i was managing to get it to connected if i had the ipod plugged in on boot up (i think) but now i can't get it to connect no matter what i do. I've checked my bios and i don't have any power options which do anything other than turn the computer on at a specifc time (and that isn't enabled). I assume i've got an irq conflict but i'm not sure how to tell what's conflicting (nothing has a yellow exclamation mark on it in device manager). I did a search and saw that a few people had this problem with other cards (like USB card) but i'm still not sure what to do. If anyone want to give me some tips that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
orfeo

Advertisements

orfeo

orfeo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
For anyone who happens to stumble upon this in a search, i think i have fixed the problem. I found that the Firewire card had an IRQ conflict with 3 other devices (see http://www.helpwithp...rq-settings.htm for how to find out conflicts). I then swapped the card between my different PCI slots which changed the IRQ setting. This still didn't seem to fix the problem but i then plugged my ipod into each of the 3 firewire ports while swapping the card between different PCI slots. I found that the bottom firewire port works with IRQ 17 so touch wood it'll continue to work.

orfeo

orfeo

orfeo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
well i think i spoke too soon, i can get the ipod to connect and it flashes the do not disconnect message but my PC does not register it as connected (it doesn't pop into my computer nor does the safely disconnect hardware symbol appear in the taskbar. Alas i don't know if there is a solution to this. It did appear in the "my computer " for a minute but then popped out again, it's almost like something is not let letting it connect. I thought it might be the windows firewall but i turned that off and still no dice. GRrr