Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot log in on welcome screen

• Please log in to reply

Vquiltmaker

Vquiltmaker

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi!

Several things happened this morning, and now two of the user accounts on my welcome screen cannot log in.

First, my mcafee let me know that it had caught and removed several trojans. I then ran a mcafee scan of the entire system. Several trojans were quarentined. Then I read about the trojans on Mcafee, updated my mcafee, and rescanned. I also did a freescan on the mcafee website just for good measure. Then I decided to go ahead and defrag and perform the disk cleaner while I was working on the computer. Finally, I went back and ran another scan of mcafee, saw the quarentined items and figured out that I needed to check each one and click remove. My last scan of mcafee came back completely clear.

Now, on the welcome screen of Windows XP home, I can log in through my user account, however, two other family members cannot. When I click on a user name of a family member, the computer screen changes to show only their name (like always), and then seems to freeze up. Finally, after several minutes, it will return to the welcome screen with all three names on it.

Can you help?

Advertisements

Grinsa

Grinsa

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hello!

Have you tried deleting the user accounts and then recreating them through Administrator? If there are important files from the accounts then burn them onto a CD or USB flash drive and load the files back to the new user accounts once created.

Also there may be other infections that are still in your computer that have not been identified causing restrictions to a user account logging in. I would also submit a HijackThis log Here so some experts can help you clear out anything still stuck in your system.

Vquiltmaker

Vquiltmaker

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks so much for your response. I did try deleting user accounts. I ended up reloading Windows etc. Not a great way to fix it, but it worked.

Thanks!
Verena