Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Win xp keeps randomly restarting

• Please log in to reply

Missus79

Missus79

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi, I'm having problems with my computer randomly restarting. Its been happening for a few weeks now and I have no idea on where to start to fix this. Yesterday I had to reinstall my xp due to an error message I got all of a sudden which said my windows could not start up due to a corrupt or missin file .... system32. So basically everything has been lost on my pc and ive had to spend hours restoring everything back. I thought this may have fixed the problem but it just restarted again 20 mins ago. I get no blue screen of death to tell me anything when this happens. If anyone can help that would be great. I have Norton internet security 2008 and some various spyware programs ect.
Thank you. :)

Advertisements

makinu1der2

makinu1der2

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
Hello Missus

Right click "My Computer" > choose Properties > click Advanced tab > under Startup and Recovery click settings > uncheck Automatic restarts.

Now then the problems occurs you should get a blue screen that will shouw information regarding the error. Please make a note and post back.

Missus79

Missus79

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello, Thank you for your reply, I have unchecked it & will post back as soon as it happens which shouldn't take too long. :)

Missus79

Missus79

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi again, Ok my pc just restarted again with no warning and I didnt have any error messages or blue screen....just plainly restarted. I just checked and my automatic restart is still unchecked so I dont understand why I didnt get anything. :)

makinu1der2

makinu1der2

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
Restarts could be caused from overheating, failing power supply, bad drivers to name a few. Try blowing the dust from inside the case with compressed air. Make sure that all the fans are working and turning smoothly including the power supply fan.

What is the make/model of your system? Also list he specs

Missus79

Missus79

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi, I usually clean my computer out frequently to keep it as dust free as I can but I havent used compressed air so I will have to get some and give that a go. The make and model of my pc is (hope I have this right) :
Acer aspire T180-UB7Z
CPU Manufacturer: AuthenticAMD
CPU Family: AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+ Model 11, Stepping 2
CPU Speed: 2008 MHz
I hope that is enough information sorry im new at this :)
Thank you.