Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Strange Wireless problem

• Please log in to reply

ZinZun

ZinZun

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi Geeks,

Iv'e poset this topic in the Vista forum as well - but this might just be related to here as well as you guys are the netowrking geeks...

For the last 2 days I'm trying to identify and solve a very strange wireless problem with my Vista station but till now, nothing works,
I have 3 computers, 1 with Ubuntu, 1 with XP and the latest one with Vista Ultimate 32 bit, all of them are connected to the same wireless router.
Both the Ubuntu and XP are fine and this problem is only with my Vista station.

Since the moment the station joins the wireless network, exactly every 1 minute, packets seems to drop and there is a networking interference, now when browsing this is unnoticed, but when streaming or using VOIP applications, every exact minute (on the second) there is a delay problem (I've attached a print screen of the network monitor in task manager, showing this behaviour while only using Skype Out call, also attached a continues ping to yahoo.com, showing the same problem).

For the last 2 days, Iíve replaced the wireless adapter with a different one, Iíve even replaced router with a new one but with no luck - the problem won't go away, I really think that something wrong with my Vista (or something in the background causing that but I can't identify it) - and I really do not want' to format the station and install XP.

1 important thing - when I'm connecting to the router using a cable from my NIC, the problem doesn't exist and everything works fine.

This computer is 2 weeks old, no crap installed on it and is has Kaspersky internet security since day 1 and all the latest Microsoft patches are installed so I doubt this is a worm or something.
Maybe someone if familiar with this problem or has a better idea how to further investigate and assist me - thanks guys.

Zin.

Attached Thumbnails

• Skype_Monitor.jpg

Attached Files

• Attached File  Ping.txt   21.46KB   52 downloads

Advertisements

Mobious

Mobious

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hi ZinZun!

Have you tried connecting to a different access point or router? Trying some pings on your local coffee shop's WiFi would do. Just to make sure if that problem happens with other access points.

ZinZun

ZinZun

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
As mentioned in the original post - I replaced routers (ADSL WiFi routers) yesterday to a new one, and still the same problem.

Mobious

Mobious

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Ok, I was thinking of a totally different router..

Can you give the make and model of your wireless adapter and router?

ZinZun

ZinZun

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Iv'e been trying with 2 different wireless adapters: Conceptronic USB adapter C54RU and Ralink RT61 Turbo.

Also, 2 wireless access point ADSL routers: Conceptronic C54APRA and SMC Networks SMC7904WBRA-N

Again,
The problem is only with the Vista machine, the conceptronic USB adapter works fine with both routers when installed on a different workstation (XP for example).

Mobious

Mobious

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
I have few things that you can try on the adapter:
  • Turn off 802.1x authentication (if possible)
  • Turn off IPv6
  • Turn off Power Management

Edited by Mobious, 10 August 2008 - 03:07 PM.

ZinZun

ZinZun

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
all off - same problem