Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Mass storage Device Connection Trouble

• Please log in to reply

Notnefmail

Notnefmail

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
Good Day fine folks,
I am having trouble on my Desktop PC with external storage devices such as my ipod and external hard-drive USB connections (using a usb connection). When I am connecting the devices I am receiving an error message which states that the connections are not recognised. The external hard-drive is brand new so I know it is not a problem that has occurred removing the devices from the PC.
I am thinking that this may be a problem with a windows update but would really appreciate a response from somebody who has either suffered the same problem before or has a decent bit of experience with such hardware.
The problem occurs with more than one USB socket on the PC and so I think it is a system problem and not faulty hardware: also, the pc is running low on disk space which may be a factor?

Many thanks for your time and any advice you can provide.
Liam

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Do any other devices work on your USB connections? Are you sure that these connections are USB2.0 ? Some devices may not work if they are USB1.1. Even if they work on USB1.1 the external drive will be much faster on 2.0 and you can add that by putting an inexpensive card in. Also make sure that your USB is properly enabled in your BIOS and check the status of the USB in device manager.

Notnefmail

Notnefmail

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Do any other devices work on your USB connections? Are you sure that these connections are USB2.0 ? Some devices may not work if they are USB1.1. Even if they work on USB1.1 the external drive will be much faster on 2.0 and you can add that by putting an inexpensive card in. Also make sure that your USB is properly enabled in your BIOS and check the status of the USB in device manager.

all USB's allow the wireless router to work from them individually so the ports are good. My ipod connection has stopped working but was fine before which makes me believe that they are all USB 2.0 ports.

I am afraid when it comes to BIOS i am a bit useless. there is a yellow exclamation warinng in device manager on one of the devices, however no new updates are available. I am not sure how to tell which USB port is the one in use. There were previously 2 warnings in device manager. i uninstalled one of these and restarted my computer and the warning had gone however the same has not occurred when trying to uninstall the second. If you can provide info or a guide as to how to check if the USBs are enabled in BIOS I can try whipping through that process now, thank you for your time.
I hope this information helps.

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Try disconnecting all USB devices and just connect one device at a time. They may be conflicting with each other. I have this problem with my Kodak AIO printer; if the USB drive is plugged in, the printer won't work and vice-versa.

Regards,

Ax