Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP/Mystery Infection [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

cholmes5

cholmes5

• Pip
  • 2 posts
OK. I had a pretty serious malware infestation with multiple trojans etc. I've run SpyHunter, Malwarebytes, McAfee, and SpyDoctor. Between the 4 of them, they seem to have found and eliminated everything except something that none of them can seem to find. Here's the symptoms: IE opens spontaneously and usually goes to a SystemSecurity malware site. However, I have disabled IE and put 0.0.0.0 in as the LAN proxy. IE still opens spontaneously, but of course can't find any sites. The cross-browser problem I am having (IE, Safari, and Firefox) is that certain sites--most sites that have to do with security or malware, plus some seemingly random others (like bank of america) wont load. The status bar says "Done" with blank white pages (Info on Page Source is also empty). Ive deleted cookies, caches, everything. Ive also checked the HOST file and nothing seems to be there except localhost. Ive reset the TCI/IP register, rechecked with all the spyware while offline, and nothing. Ive tried several other things too that I dont remember at this point. I really dont want to have to re-format and reinstall--it will be a *Major* headache. So, any takers for suggestions???

Thank you in advance.

Edited by BHowett, 15 August 2008 - 03:01 PM.

Advertisements

cholmes5

cholmes5

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
OK. I know you arent supposed to reply to your own topic, but it seems to be resolved. I manually found a couple of fragments of the Zlob variant that the 4! spyware programs werent finding for some reason. After deletion, the browser was still being blocked. However, I discovered that if using Anonymizer software, I could access all sites. This at least narrowed the problem to files/settings that Anonymizer would bypass when using. I downloaded and used WinPatrol v 15.5.2008.0 to analyze registry keys and ran a fix on those. After restart (disconnected from the net) Malwarebytes was able to find several other Trojan fragments. After those were deleted, everything seems to be accessible now via all browsers. Hum, dont know exactly what file/settings solved the problem, but, there we are. Thanks to everyone who read this and hope this will help somebody! :)

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
Thanks for letting us know you got it sorted, I'll close this topic for you :)

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.