Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

2 Comps 2 rooms need to connect both to internet

• Please log in to reply

kfuchs

kfuchs

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
I will have 2 comps very soon. 1 I have right now and 2nd im going to be buying. they are going to be in 2 seprate rooms fairly far away from each other.

I want to connect both of them to the internet but without getting a huge cable and putting it through my house.
I also dont want to do it wirelessly cause I will be playing games and dont trust wireless connections to be speedy and efficent for gaming :).

I do have cable wires in that 2nd room so my idea is if I got a 2nd cable modem wouldn't I just be able to connect it?

Im not sure wats the best way to do this. So if anyone has any advice please help :)

Thanks.

Edited by kfuchs, 10 August 2008 - 02:48 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Okay so let's clarify the situation.

You want to get two computers on the network but you don't want to run a cable. You would need a router in any case.
You also don't want to go wireless.
You can't have two cable modems on the same connection. Two separate ones yes but they'd be on two connections, not one shared one if that's your goal.
Since you don't want cable and you don't want wireless, how do you propose we get them on the Internet by not using the only two methods available?

kfuchs

kfuchs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Wopps edit.

So I cant have a 2nd cable modem without paying for a 2nd cable connection?

If I went to circuit city and plugged in a cable modem into my other wire wat would happen?

Also for gaming is wireless effective or no?

Edited by kfuchs, 10 August 2008 - 05:16 PM.

franc

franc

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Is the cable in the "2nd room" IP cable service or CAT 5 (computer cable) If it's computer cable, chances are it ends in the same area as the exisiting cable unless it is your IP service cable. Either way chances are both rooms are wired to wherever the IP connects (demark) in your house. Put your modem there (if it is inside your house).
You didn't indicate whether you have DSL or cable IP service. DSL will work as I suggested. Cable will be a little more tricky. Good luck.

kfuchs

kfuchs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
o sorry i ment cable as my internet provider Time warner earthlink cable.