Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

E8400 OC Possible issue

• Please log in to reply

L3V1ATH4N

L3V1ATH4N

• Pip
  • 2 posts
i didnt know who else to ask so i figured id go ahead and post my problem thats been bothering me for awhile. i am happy with 3.6ghz overclock but was curious if anyone could solve the issue i was haveing. NOTE: Issue does not occur if i only use the intergrated audio and not the sound card.
you might ask then why go thrue all this trouble posting, well its simple i would like to utilize the 70$ sound card i paid for wich gives out better audio quality than the azalia audio thats built into the mobo ;-)
________________________________________________________________________________

Basic system overview.

4 gig ram G.Skill ddr2 800mhz 4-4-3-5- timings. (at factory settings )
E8400 wolfdale dual core ( 3.6ghz with stock Vcore)
cpu cooler zalman 9700CNPS with artic silver 5. (fan is at full speed but even at full load heatsink is very cool to the touch even at the base cpu socket.)
Gigabyte EP35-DS3P motherboard. ( FSB is at 1600mhz due to my current OC of 3.6ghz)
8800GTS 512mb EVGA video card.
one 150gig raptor HDD for my games
and one 250gig seagate HDD for my OS.
power supply is by PC power and cooling 750watt crossfire edition.
sound card is HT Omega striker 7.1 channel pci based card.
all components are enclosed in a RC-690 cooler master case with 7 120mm fans.

and one 250gig seagate HDD for my OS.

________________________________________________________________________________

Problem Over View~

anytime i try to overclock the processor to 4.0ghz i can boot into windows and run UT3 or crysis but only 2 mins into game being started i get a BSOD

with the culprit being a file called CMUDAx3.SYS but i never get the BSOD when my Processor runs at 3.6ghz.

Driver Overview~

All components in the pc have all been updated with the latest drivers including the bios with the latest revision. i also experienced the same problem with Cmudax3.sys before with old drivers.

BIOS Settings for current 3.6ghz OC 24/7 usage is stable
azalia audio codec is disabled in bios.
Vcore is set to factory default for the E8400
ram is at factory default of 4-4-3-5 800mhz in bios at 1.8v
C1E and intel EIST have been disabled as well as speed step.
FSB is 1600mhz 400x9
over voltage control is set to normal for everything
loadline calibration is enabled.

Recap: i cant figure out why these settings work fine but as soon as i get to 4.0ghz i start getting that sound card driver file issue with all my games and music cmudax3.sys BSOD and have to reboot.

Stress Testing.

memtest86 shows no errors at 3.6ghz
computer can pass thrue 30 mins of everest ultimate burn in testing.

Conclusion~ would like to thank anyone who may be able to help and for bearing thrue this long post. and also i tryed google but no one seems to have a absolute resolution for the issue.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Don't forget, overclocking doesn't agree with all components. If you hit a ceiling that is imposed by the hardware you're using (including PCI cards that are connected to the processor via the hierarchy of the board design) then that is its tolerance and if you can fix the problem by slowing the system down, that's what you should do.

It's entirely possible the soundblaster driver has issues over a certain clock speed - don't forget nothing these days currently runs at 4Ghz out of the box so if problems are only occurring at that clock speed there may not be a lot you can do about it.

L3V1ATH4N

L3V1ATH4N

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
good point.... i kinda wondered if that was the problem. i mean it makes sence, would like to thank you for your input thoe every little bit helps in trying to solve the mystery sometimes :-)