Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

God help me... first build

• Please log in to reply

kiramog

kiramog

• Pip
  • 1 posts
K, so I :) HATE my old Dell and am thinking of building my own. Hopefully ya'll can help me figure out what is best for performance and price, as well as if its all compatible. I'm a gamer (and a college student) and this'll be my new rig, so I'm trying to go for perfomance without breaking the bank. I think 1200 is the most I want to spend on this beast.

Here's what I'm looking at, tell me what ya think:
MoBo
Intel BOXDP35DPM

CPU
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
Will the fan included with the CPU be sufficient? If not, please recommend. (Something that doesn't sound like a hurricane!)

Graphics
MSI R4850-T2D512 Radeon HD 4850

Case, Fans, Power Supply
THERMALTAKE soprano rs 101
THERMALTAKE A2018 120mm blue-eye led case fan
Was thinking of a 600W power supply. Is there a particular brand to stay away from/definately go for?

RAM
MWAVE 2gb pc26400 800mhz DDR2
The MoBo can handle 8gb, I'm thinking of going with 6 or 4.

OS
Windows Vista 64 bit Premium

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Edited by kiramog, 10 August 2008 - 02:45 PM.

Advertisements

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
The fan that comes with the CPU should be sufficient, (at least, as far as I know. I can't imagine that Intel would send a fan that's too small for the CPU.)

When I have some time I'll look at your other components. BTW, if you're a gamer, you should know that for gaming, a Quad core has no advantage over a Dual core, because games haven't figure out how to use a quad core yet. Given a couple years, I'm sure they will, but as of right now, there's no advantage (in that realm.) However, for media stuff (digital video work, 3D design, that sort of thing) a quad core is a huge plus. I don't know if you do anything along those lines, but I figured I'd let you know.

Granz00

Granz00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
Hi,

I will start off by saying that I just recently built my first desktop (first time building but not first time owning one). So I am in no means an expert.

I suggest getting a processor that is made with 45nm technology rather than 65nm. These processors should run cooler and more effeciently. As for whats available, you have the Intel Core 2 Duo E8400, which runs at 3.0 GHz for about $170. For a quad core, you have the Q9300 2.5GHz for around $270. I'm also diving into some computer gaming a little bit, and I bought the E8400. So far it seems to run pretty good.

For the Heatsink/Fan, the stock fan should be sufficient if you are not Overclocking. Before you get interested in overclocking, know that it is risky to do, and it can reduce the lifespan of the parts being overclocked. If you want to overclock, then just say so and we will suggest some parts for you.

For the powersupply, I am using a 600W Silverstone, which was suggested by more experienced people on this site. This should cost somewheres around $80 after a mail in rebate.

The RAM you picked seems extremly cheep, and pales in comparison to your other parts. There are two main problems with the RAM you picked. First, it is only 800 MHz. You should be looking more in the 1066 MHz area. Second, it has no heat spreader. I don't know if this is a necessity, but it would certainly be better. The brand I am using, and was suggested to me was Mushkin. However, feel free to look around on your own to see what you might want.

Lastly, you seem to missing a few parts. Such as the HDD, optical drives, keyboard and mouse, and the monitor. Also, do you need a floppy drive and or a disk reader? Finally, do you want this to be wireless or wired for internet? Just provide an update on these things and I will be glad to try to help you out.

Edited by Granz00, 11 August 2008 - 09:15 AM.

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

The RAM you picked seems extremly cheep, and pales in comparison to your other parts. There are two main problems with the RAM you picked. First, it is only 800 MHz. You should be looking more in the 1066 MHz area. Second, it has no heat spreader. I don't know if this is a necessity, but it would certainly be better. The brand I am using, and was suggested to me was Mushkin. However, feel free to look around on your own to see what you might want.

The reason for that is that he selected a motherboard that only supports 800MHz and 533MHz.
kiramog, I suggest getting something like this Gigabyte EP45-DS3L for $107.99 as it offers quite a bit more than the Intel board.

Granz00

Granz00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

The reason for that is that he selected a motherboard that only supports 800MHz and 533MHz.

Wow I completely missed that. I looked at the motherboard, and saw the high max bus speed. Then when I got to the RAM, I didn't think to look at the specifics for the board.

Also, 2GB should do the job, so 4GB should be more than enough.

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
I'm running Vista Business on 2GB RAM, and it runs...Well, it runs. Sort of. But that may be the AMD processor I'm running it on :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts

I'm running Vista Business on 2GB RAM, and it runs...Well, it runs. Sort of. But that may be the AMD processor I'm running it on :)

Vista Home Premium is nice and quick on my 2GB... So it comes down to all the other parts combined as a whole. If you're intensive gaming or heavily multi-tasking (or multimedia editing), 4GB would be your best choice there for now. Grab a 2x 2GB kit, and if you need to upgrade down the road you can easily add another 2x 2GB kit.