Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista: to upgrade or not?

• Please log in to reply

kelltech

kelltech

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
I have an Acer Aspire 5100 that I purchased in November 2006. It runs XP Media Center edition. Acer sent me a Vista upgrade just a few months after I bought this notebook, but I have never installed it. I guess this is a great matter of opinion, but is there great benefit to upgrade this notebook to Vista, or should well enough be left alone? I imagine it's nearly impossible to go back to XP if it doesn't work right.

Specs are AMD Turion 64 mobile 2.0ghz, 2.5gb RAM and 80gb hdd.

Advertisements

ipods619

ipods619

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Hello Kelltech,

I'd just like to warn you that you WILL get various opinions, and several may/will disagree with other posts... But here is my feedback.

If you are talking regarding hardware, you should be fine to run Vista Home (Basic or Premium). You will experience lags but that I'll say is due to the processor. Otherwise, you have enough RAM. I'd also like to point out you didn't mention your graphics card. Many people upgrade to Vista because of the graphics. If your card has a poor quality, not much use upgrading.

If you are talking about 'use', I say it depends on the overall knowledge you have using a computer. Vista leans (imo) more towards people that don't mind various restrictions. (Such as the UAC). Also, it depends on what kind of work you want to do. If you are a businessman/woman or some sort of a developer, I recommend you stick with XP for now. It'll help you get through your everyday tasks smoother.

Hope this helped.

Regards,