Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

upgrade cpu,motherboard,ram use hard drives from old computer

• Please log in to reply

andybodin

andybodin

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
I want upgrade cpu,motherboard,ram and use hard drives from old computer with windows xp and my programs, data and such.

Will windows boot with the new equipement using my hard drive(s) with all my programs and data on it?

I do not want to have to install windows and all my programs again.

Thanks,

andybodin

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Nope.. you will need to run a "repair" at the very minimum using the XP cd.

Also, if your XP cd is OEM (came with a different system), then you can't even use that cd as it goes against Microsoft's EULA. You would need to buy a new retail version of XP.

Murray

andybodin

andybodin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
I have the org. disk so I can do a repair of windows on my first boot and then install the drivers for my new devices, and this should let me keep my data and orginal installed programs without having to reinstall all of my programs and data?

andybodin

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

I have the org. disk so I can do a repair of windows on my first boot and then install the drivers for my new devices, and this should let me keep my data and orginal installed programs without having to reinstall all of my programs and data?

andybodin

The "original disk" doesn't matter. The second you changed the mobo, you made an entirely different computer. If your cd is OEM, there is a good chance it won't even work as nothing on the new mobo would meet the specs the install cd was looking for.

What was the make of your original computer - the one the XP cd came with?

Murray

andybodin

andybodin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
My cd for windows xp was a bought retail upgrade version from best buy.

andybodin

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Okay.. That means you would still need to run the repair option. Tough call here as an upgrade requires a suitable upgrade media in order to install. That means if you used a WinME or 98SE or W2K operating system to use the upgrade, the XP license is tied to the original operating system. That means you may still be in violation of Microsoft's EULA.

Murray