Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Screen blinks, then gets black

• Please log in to reply

Linkdk

Linkdk

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hey all!

Sometime's when i start my computer, and after windows load screen, my monitor turns completely black like there wasn't any cable inserted. It doesn't say "No signal" or anything, its just black.

When i then click the power button, waits a few seconds and turns the screen on again, the desktop gets showen in 5 seconds and it then gets black.
If i the switch my cable from the 1. DVI Out to the 2.(Or vise versa) it works absolutely fine.

My monitor is a Acer AL1711 LCD wit standard VGA cable, with a VGA to DVI converter. My GFX is a Geforce 7950GT 512 mb.
I am 99% sure that its my gfx card.

Also, now when i have turned my computer on for like 20 minutes i guess, havn't been in any games and i have only got IE opened so far(and standard startup programs ofc.) the GPU temperature is 56 Celsius! (SpeedFan)

Is my GFX broken or something? I havn't changed any cooling devices or anything since i got my machine (May 2007).

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
First, make sure you do not have both the bios and windows power saving features running. Use one or the other but not both. I find it easier to shut off the windows power settings than the BIOS ones. I just set hibernate, and turn off monitor timing to NEVER in control panel.

If you think it's your Nvidia card, have you upgraded to the latest drivers for the card. The latest drivers usually include fixes for problems found with the cards.

Your GPU temp is not too high considering the card your using. 133° F is not that bad.

SRX660

Linkdk

Linkdk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Power saving feature ? Is there a function like that on a stationary pc ? If so i have no clue how to enable/disable this...
Well i'll update my drivers now, and update you tomorrow about its state when i get home and turns the computer on.

Hmm.. i just read some of the topics posted here which say a normal gpu's temp should be ~ 40 C.

Linkdk

Linkdk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Allright i turned my computer on, and it still gets black at windows loading screen. And i have updated my gfx drivers.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Ok, Lets try some things.

See if hibernate is disabled.
1. Right-click on the desktop and click "Properties"
2. Hit the "Screen Saver" tab
3. Click the "Power" button under "Monitor Power"
4. Click the "Hibernation" tab, then uncheck the box next to "Enable Hibernation"
5. Press "OK."
Restart the computer and see if the problem has gone away.

You also might read this on setting your power options.

http://www.lancelhof...-power-options/

If nothing works from the above the next step is to uninstall SP2 or SP3( whatever you have) and reinstall it. It may be you have a corrupt file in the update.

After you boot up to NOTHING, hit CTRL+ALT+DEL...task manager will come up.

Click on New Task and enter...appwiz.cpl

UNINSTALL SP2!!

Reboot

After reboot, reinstall SP2 with other updates.

Again, if you still have problems i would check in the malware forum to check if you have any malware causing the problem.

http://www.geekstogo...-Log-t2852.html

SRX660

Linkdk

Linkdk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Allright i have now checked all the stuff you told me...

Full system scan with Bullguard(anti-virus)
Full system scan with Spybot(anti-spyware)
Absolutly nothing found.

Reinstalled sp3, nothing.

I'll run HijackThis now and post a topic in the HijacThis forum.

Here's a little update on how i still access my computer.. I turn my screen off and then on.. waits to it gets black again and does exactly the same thing like 10-15 times, then it stops and i can fine use my computer again.

Its very wierd and annoying.

EDIT:

Allright i posted my log file on hijackthis.de and it seams everyting is allright.

Edited by Linkdk, 17 August 2008 - 03:32 AM.