Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Network connectivity problems

• Please log in to reply

realbigg

realbigg

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi

I'm hopeful that salvation lies within these pages....

I run a 4 pc network, all with XP Pro SP2, using one pc as the "server" which has the ICS and acts as the network drive/ shared folder.

Just lately, I've been getting problem after problem with network connectivity and also the internet dropping out (due in part to a rather crap "three" broadband modem (have to use a wireless modem as we do not have cabled BB in this area - stone age I know!)) and now I've totally lost connectivity with my pc on the network.
I thought this may have been the network card - so I replaced it to no avail. I also replaced the switch and the cable, but again no joy.
As I needed to get my emails, I swapped the modem from the "server" pc to my pc and set up the BB connection on that. Joy - I could receive emails and surf the net - so could two of the other pc's (not the original server). Unfortunately, the "server" now has the same problem that my pc originally had - i.e. limited or no connectivity.
It's not receiving any packets but is sending them.
I've tried the winsock fix, messing around with the NIC settings (I've read loads of threads on this) but just can't get to the bottom of it.
I even swapped all of the pc's to Mozilla Firefox as I was told this would solve the problem.
Finally, I even tried a patch from Microsoft, but again no joy.

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated as I'm no computer genius but think it may have something to do with the DHCP settings.

Thanks in advance for even looking into this.

Cheers

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
I'd like to see some more information. Please follow the steps below.
  • Go to Start -> Run.
  • In the Box, type in "cmd".
  • A black box will appear. Type in: "ipconfig /all".
  • A lot of information will appear, Please right click the black window and hit mark.
  • Select every line of text you recieved and hit "enter" to copy.
  • Then paste it into your next reply.

Regards,
Olrik

realbigg

realbigg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi Olrik

Thanks for taking the time to look in to this for me.

I did some more digging last night and after checking for viruses and then re-running the network set up wizard on all of the pc's and swapping the modem on to a client pc (and leaving the shared drive on the "server") things improved. I then dug a little deeper and I found a post (http://www.tomshardw...owing-workgroup) advising me to tweak a local security policy (which I secretly wondered if it might be the cause of at least some of the problems). Basically, once I had altered the security policy I could see the
"server" pc plus all of the clients within the workgroup.
Touch wood, it all seems to be going fine now.

So, thanks again for taking the time to look - I'm sure that everyone who receives your assistance is most grateful.

Realbigg.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Nice to hear you got your issue resolved :)
And thanks for taking the time to post back!

Regards,
Olrik

Edited by Artellos, 12 August 2008 - 10:42 AM.