Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Adding Computers to WSUS Server

• Please log in to reply

Hex_Bug

Hex_Bug

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hello all,

I've got a number of computers (most of them) that are not connecting and syncing with the WSUS update server I have on my network. I've done some research and followed the instructions according to this article (http://mcpmag.com/co...itorialsID=1271). Unfortunately the computers are still not showing up on the server console. The client machines are running Windows 2000 and XP and the server is running 2003 standard. The WSUS version is 3.1.6001.65. Does anyone have ideas on how to get these machines to sync up? Thanks

*edit* There is also an existing gpo on the server for WSUS. It directs updates to the correct update server.
*edit* Computers that also have a computer-side GPO pointing updates to the WSUS server also do not show

*additional info*
I was surfing the logs today as well as trying to do more troubleshooting. I reinstalled WSUS to see if it was the program having an error and nothing has changed except for now that there are no computers in the console. IN the event logs I found this message, thinking it has something to do with it but not sure.
Source: MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE
Event ID: 18456
User: NT AUTHORITY/NETWORK SERVICE
Description: Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY/NETWORK SERVICE'. [CLIENT: <named pipe>]

When I check for more information on MS's website I get no help.

Edited by Hex_Bug, 15 August 2008 - 08:53 AM.

Advertisements

Hex_Bug

Hex_Bug

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
This issue has been solved.

After getting another person to look over logs, etc we solved the problem. As it turns out there was a semicolon ( ; ) in the server address instead of a colon ( : ) in the GPO for WSUS. Something that my eyes did not immediately distinguish in the Windows Update logs.