Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My Computer Does not Turn On

• Please log in to reply

Panda_Panda

Panda_Panda

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Last night, my computer was working fine. And I have done a virus scan lately and my computer doesn't appear to be affected. This morning, my sister was playing on it and it was working fine. But then it froze on her. She came to tell me and by the time I went over to check out the problem, the computer was off. She was playing a harmless game, btw, she had played it countless times before without freezing my computer.
So I tried turning my computer on, and the lights came on, the fan started, but there was no "BEEP" sound nor did my monitor react. Seconds later, the computer shut off again.

Please help!! I am a complete newbie when it comes to these things!!

Thank you so much!
And is there anyway to fix this without losing my files?

Edited by Panda_Panda, 11 August 2008 - 09:48 AM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
No single POST beep usually means there is a hardware problem. The bios is testing all the hardware and one piece is not answering , so it shuts down.This is really a matter of replacing parts until you find the problem. In a situation like this i start with the memory, reseating the memory, then check each hardware one by one, using the below guide, Starting with the power failure guide.

http://www.fonerbooks.com/power.htm

Look at the other guides to see if they will help.

You can always install your hard drive in another computer as a slave to copy any data you want to save to the other computer( burning a CD or DVD is even better). You can also install the drive in a USB external enclosure to access the data. You may have to take ownership of the files and folders to access them in another computer.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

SRX660