Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP abruptly reboots

• Please log in to reply

Jfibus

Jfibus

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My computer abruptly reboots. When I first turn it on, it seems fine but when I start a graphic intensive program or play a media file it reboots and continues a loop of rebooting a few times untill it finally gets to the startup screen again. I thought my processor was overheating cause I had that problem once before. But it's running at 41-44 degrees C. Any thoughts on what the problem could be?

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Hi Jfibus, welcome to Geeks to Go! <_<

It does sound like an overheating, or possibly power supply problem. I've heard of people removing the side of their case, and point a box fan at it. If that solves the problem, you certainly have an overheating problem.

kimblehyde

kimblehyde

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
try to remove any settings like the one in the cmos reboot on system error. Also if you do not have a lot of memory and you are running XP your computer will reboot if it does a system memory dump. Try going into the system panel and changing this setting to NONE.

Hope this helps

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Here's a couple free utilites to help monitor your systems temperatures:
http://mbm.livewiredev.com/
http://www.ariolic.c...mart/index.html