Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Cant connect xp computer to windows server 2003 domain

• Please log in to reply

joncommander

joncommander

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Windows xp pro - currently in a workgroup want to swap to domain
Windows server 2003 - Active directory just re-installed DNS

I tryed to connect the computer to the domain with the old domain and every time it just said:"The specified server cannot perform the requested operation"

I re-installed the active directory on the server including the DNS.

I am trying to connect using the Administrator account on the server with the administrators account on the xp computer. What am i doing worng and if any what settings have I missed?

On the xp computer I put the name of the domain in (HOME) and clicked the 'more' button and put in 'HOME' aswell. Installing the domain I named it domain.home.local and netBIOS as HOME. the xp computer reconises the HOME but not domain.home.local when i put it in the domain box.

If someone could give a bit if time to do a step by step guid how i can get this to work i will be very greatful! - I just cant get this to work.

Thanks for all answers

(Im new to servers so if you start saying things with commands or DC... please explain them.

Advertisements

GmanSman

GmanSman

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hello:

Just dropping in to see if all is well with this situation. I notice no one replied but maybe if you still have the issue you we can tackle it together.

I set up XP pro workstations at work pretty often to our server. If you resolved it share the wealth, if not than hope to hear from you soon.

Hope your still around - GmanSman

tech_know

tech_know

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Before you join the domain Enter server IP address in LAN "Prefferd DNS server"
After that go "My computer" Properties select domain then Enter Netbios Name click on More Enetr thr domain Name Click ok -- Ok .. you get message welcome XYZ domain restart your xp system .. Now you are system is domain memeber..