Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP doesn't fully load

• Please log in to reply

timmyb74

timmyb74

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm a newbie here, so be gentle...

I'm running XP Pro. It starts to load, gets to the users page (sometimes), shuts down and starts all over. This continues until the PC is shut down. Once, it actually made it all the way through and worked for a short time, although the screen icons were "not as usual". Since then it has only made it to the Windows screen with the moving blue bars and then shuts down and restarts the process all over.

I removed the HD and reinstalled it in a different PC. I was able to read the files, but it still wouldn't boot. I have tried a couple of virus removal programs and they all report no infections. I tried a repair of XP per your instructions, but that did not resolve the problem.

I purchased a new HD thinking that would surely resolve the problem...it didn't. Now the new HD has the same problem, except that when I tried to install it in a different PC as a slave drive it wouldn't let the master drive boot either.

Suggestions?

Advertisements

ViprXX

ViprXX

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
Assuming you performed the WinXP repair install correctlly and got a new HD and installed WinXP on it correctly and it still wouldn't boot then maybe try resetting your computers bios/cmos to its default/failsafe settings. to do that, turn the pc on and at the very first screen press whatever key it says to press to enter setup or cmos/bios. then once in the bios find the section where it says to reset to defaults or failsafe settings and do it then save and exit. Also could possibly be a motherboard or cable problem.

timmyb74

timmyb74

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Reset bios settings. Did not resolve the problem. Installed new cable. No change.