Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Very slow USB device recognition, etc.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Graham Daley

Graham Daley

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello,

I am currently trying to resolve an issue with a friend's Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop. Could you please help, as she needs the laptop back as soon as possible.

I am not sure if there is more than one problem, but here are the symptoms:

- When plugging in a new USB device (I have tried various different memory sticks and a mouse), it takes about 2 minutes to recognize the device. Also, when attempting to use the Safely Remove Hardware function in the system tray, the device never unmounts -- instead, I always get a message saying that the device is busy.

- When typing in Notepad, MS Word, and even in IE, the displayed text occasionally pauses and catches up after a few seconds.

- When uninstalling applications using the Add or Remove Programs function in Control Panel, there is a long pause (2 - 3 minutes) immediately after the app has uninstalled, before the uninstaller closes and the installed program list updates. (Using the Task Manager to close the Add or Remove Programs process seems to result in the uninstall not being 100% complete.)

- I have tried scanning for viruses and spyware using Avast, Windows Defender and Spybot Search & Destroy, but haven't found anything suspicious.

I have copied the log from HijackThis below.

Many thanks for any help offered!

Regards,

Graham.

Advertisements

Graham Daley

Graham Daley

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I should have also mentioned that none of these problems occur in Safe Mode.

Thanks!

Graham.

rohanbruce

rohanbruce

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi Graham

I have the exact same problem with the eject hardware function, and was having a problem with text lag too. I still have a couple of other issues but will adress those in a separate thread. For now, I have a fix for the text lag (although *disclaimer* I'm a strict amateur, not an expert, my advice is taken at your own risk) - : if you co into run>msconfig, untick the hotkey poller. Don't know how, but this works to fix the lag problem. Its a fix I've seen recommended on a number of forums and is effective. :-)

rohanbruce

rohanbruce

• Pip
  • 2 posts
PS: some recomendations: Install Advanced SystemCare. Browse through the utilities, remove all the crap programmes you don't need, the registry cleaner, update drivers using their utility. if you have the time do the defrag. Run the automated maintenance reccomended. Sped up my little Inspiron loads!

Edited by rohanbruce, 04 May 2009 - 08:15 AM.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Going to close this thread since it is over a year old. Try and be more careful.