Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Printing from non-admin account

• Please log in to reply

Szyfrow

Szyfrow

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
Hi,

I'm running WinXP Pro SP2 and an HP Deskjet HP930C printer.
When printing with admin permissions printing is fine. However, when logged in as a restricted user, there are 2 problems:
  • With spooling disabled (print dicrectly to printer), the program from which I submit the print job will hang for about a minute before printing starts.
  • With spooling enabled there is no printng at all: the print job just apperars in the printer screen for a short while and then vanishes, but no printing takes place. (Print Spooler service is set as automatic and if I check the service its status is 'started' indeed.)
I tried installing the printer driver from an admin account and also installing from a user account. Doesn't make a difference.

Saw many items on the Internet about spooler issues in the context of XP but none of them seem to apply to my problem. Because of problem (1) I don't expect this to be a spooler issue anyway. I couldn't find any other printing related services in the list of services.

Anybody any ideas?

Advertisements

Szyfrow

Szyfrow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Hi again,

After posting my problem I've solved it following the default problem solving protocol, namely start from scratch: uninstall printer, download printer driver again and install printer. Running fine now. So, must have been a question of a corrupt driver, or may be even the wrong driver. I had tried several solutions before posting and I can't remember if I tried following the steps above (and in the same order) ... probably not.

My apologies for taking your time while the problem could be solved in the most basic way! :)