Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

how can i remove programs not found in add remove?

• Please log in to reply

itryed2

itryed2

• PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
how can i remove programs not found in add remove programs?wile my avast anti virus is searching for virus i notice it looks throu programs no longer installed,i allso notice these programs in other scans of my system but cant locate these programs on my computer,i installed differnt software but all only show programs that are in add remove,maybe they are traces left behind by programs not fully uninstalled?i also go to my c:drive and cant locate thses programs,is there a program that can search deeper in my pc for installed programs?programs installed at factory that i no longer use/need?if i can dellete thses programs avast wouldnt take as long to search?your help would b appriciated!i thank you befour hand for your help and suport,im running windows xp,sp2.thanks again for your time!

Advertisements

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
What programs? Windows programs? Some programs when you uninstall them leave a directory in the program files folder. That usually can be deleted.

itryed2

itryed2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
no previous installed programs like,virus scaners,3d screen savers,aim,uninstallers,and a number of other programs

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You Might give this program a try.

Revo Uninstaller

http://www.revounins...e_download.html

SRX660

itryed2

itryed2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
ty srx ive allready tryed,also tryed pro cleaner,advanced windows cleaner,uninstall pro,smarty uninstall,advanced uninstaller,perfect uninstaller,these programs only allow me to see the same programs found n add dellet

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
Remove Programs from the Add/Remove Programs List (All Windows)

Windows compatible programs must include an uninstall program, sometimes though the program may get removed but the entry in Add/Remove programs does not. This tweak allows you to manually remove any orphaned entries.
Open your registry (regedit) and find the key below. Under this key will be a number of sub-keys, each representing an installed application.
To see which application each sub-key represents, open it and there should be at least two values 'DisplayName' and 'UninstallString'. 'DisplayName' is the name used in the Add/Remove programs list and 'UninstallString' is the program used to uninstall the application.
To remove a program from the list you can simply highlight and delete the sub-key representing that program.

Settings
System Key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall]
Name: DisplayName, UninstallString

Disclaimer: Modifying the registry can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. We cannot guarantee that problems resulting from modifications to the registry can be solved. Use the information provided at your own risk

Attached Thumbnails

• add_remove.JPG

itryed2

itryed2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
ty peter i was able to find (some) programs n there that i thought was previously uninstalled,but i know theres more and has to b a deeper search?

itryed2

itryed2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
wow!did i mess up.my brother told me to install(system mechanic)that it would clean the files out,well boy did it do some cleaning,i fully ran system machanic ,then my comp. rebooted,well after it rebooted,it didnt load,it kept blinking from the compaq screen to moniter will shut off to windows reboot screan,i tryed my hardess to fix it,even tryed recovery tools,nothing,so i had to reinstall windows xp,well its clean now lol.but i am running into problems,some windows programs r not updateing,should i make a new topic for this?here are those programs,thank you again for your time.
Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP (KB953838)
Agere Systems - Modems - Agere Systems PCI Soft Modem
Intel® 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller
Security Update for Windows XP with Windows Media Format Runtime 9.5 and 11 (KB941569)
Security Update for Windows XP with Windows Media Format Runtime 9.5 (KB923689)
Security Update for Windows Media Player 10 for Windows XP (KB936782)
Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP (KB953838)
Microsoft .NET Framework version 1.1
Hewlett-Packard Company - Monitors - COMPAQ FS7555 17in. CRT Monitor
Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0: x86 (KB829019)
Microsoft Silverlight 1.0 (KB951213)
Root Certificates Update
Windows Search 4.0 for Windows XP (KB940157)
Update for Windows XP (KB951618)
Realtek Semiconductor Corp. - Network - Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC

itryed2

itryed2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
Problem fixed,useing the link on this thread.
Neil Jones

View Member Profile Mar 20 2008, 04:32 AM Post #5

Member 5k

My link worked when I posted it, wouldn't have posted it otherwise.
There is more than one place to find it though:
http://lifeisarainbo...-update-errors/ and step 4.

Everythings up and running now,all updates went without any problems,also had many other updates,now i just have to start reinstalling everything i lost(and go figure i was lazy and didnt back anything up on this comp.so i have to start over,fun,i learnd a great leson)so problem fixed!thank everyone who helped.

itryed2

itryed2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
Problem fixed,useing the link on this thread.
Neil Jones

View Member Profile Mar 20 2008, 04:32 AM Post #5

Member 5k

My link worked when I posted it, wouldn't have posted it otherwise.
There is more than one place to find it though:
http://lifeisarainbo...-update-errors/ and step 4.

Everythings up and running now,all updates went without any problems,also had many other updates,now i just have to start reinstalling everything i lost(and go figure i was lazy and didnt back anything up on this comp.so i have to start over,fun,i learnd a great leson)so problem fixed!thank everyone who helped.