Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hard Drive Refuses to Reformat

• Please log in to reply

jsullivan33403

jsullivan33403

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
I have a Western Digital WD100 (WD Protege enhances IDE hard drive) that refuses to reformat.

History - Hard drive had been working okay but refused to load a program. I decided to reformat, but it refuses to reformat.

Message received - Setup was unable to format the partitioon. The disk may be damaged.

Make sure the drive is switched on and properly connected to your computer. If the disk is SCSI [[which it is not]] disk, make sure your SCSI are properly terminated. Consult your computer manual or SCSI adapter documentation for more information.

You must select a different partition for Windows 2000. To continue press enter.

This is nonsense as there is of course only one partition.

I have tried - (1) formating the disk by making it a slave and this was done successfully as checked out by pasting items to it. (2) I have tried different jumper settings [[as shipped, master, and single]] but still the same response. (3) I have used a disk check program and it found no problems.

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS?

jsullivan33403@yahoo.com

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
It may have hidden partitions on it which Windows would have trouble seeing, or would refuse to format because they are too small to load Windows. If it was used as an external drive or in something like the PS2 that is very likely. You could removing everything from the drive by running DBAN on it, but it must be the only drive in the system when you do it, DBAN will write every drive in the system to zeros.

My experience with these 10 to 40gb WD drives is not good, they have a high rate of outright failure and even when they work the data transfer rate may be poor. I would run diagnostics from WD on it before going any further.