Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

BIOS not recognizing any drives after swapping secondary HD's

• Please log in to reply

bmoremu

bmoremu

• Pip
  • 1 posts
A friend of mine was no longer able to get into Windows XP on her PC and wanted to save a lot of digital photos. So I took her PC, removed her HD and swapped it with my secondary HD. (My PC has a primary SATA drive w/ the OS and a secondary IDE drive for storage). When I turned on my PC, for some reason it booted off of her drive I had swapped in. I wanted to get online to do some troubleshooting so I removed her HD and put mine back in. That is when the "strike f1 to retry reboot, strike f2 to enter setup" error message starting occurring. I have reset my BIOS and cleared NVRAM. I believe I did this correctly because each time afterwards it would attempt the automatic IDE configuration. Anyways, the BIOS is not recognizing ANY of my drives (2 dvd drives, the primary sata HD, and the original secondary IDE HD).

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you!

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
i would recommend that you remove the battery for a few minutes to clear the bios and then reset it and try again... unfortunately it might be that her drive is physically damaged and may have damaged your computer as well.... This is NOT typical so try the above first.... if that doesn't work remove all but the boot drive and try again... you might also want to try in addition to the above, unplug the computer for a while to let the psu reset as well...