Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Webpage access problem

• Please log in to reply

Ahimsa

Ahimsa

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
In both IE7 and Firefox I have been unable to access some webpages which I know exist. (I verified their existence on another computer.) In IE7 the error message is "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" and in FireFox the message is "Server not found. Firefox can't find the server at www. ... ."

A related problem is that sometimes, e.g., in Yahoo Movies, when I use the BACK arrow to navigate back to the prior page, nothing happens. If I double-click or click multiple times I am able to get back to the prior page, but then part of the page displays the webpage error message.

I would really appreciate help. Thank you very much.

My system information:
OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
System Name Dell DIMENSION-E510
System Model Dell DM051
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 7 GenuineIntel ~2660 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A05, 3/31/2006
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
Total Physical Memory 1,024.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 433.93 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 2.40 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
1) Please include your type of Internet connection: dial up, DSL, broadband and any steps you have taken to correct problem. Especially if you used any software to clean files/Registry just before problem started.

2) Using any security programs like McAfee or Norton which had updates prior to problems starting?

3) If you use any IM programs, do they connect ok?

4) Using a proxy? Proxy check:

> open IE
> click on Tools
> click on Internet Options
> click Connections tab
> click on LAN settings
> there should be no check mark on all boxes
> click Apply to save settings

5) Try clearing the cache for all browsers you use. Go to each web site you're having problems with. When it seems to have completed loading, press Ctrl + F5 and see if full site loads.

6) Run through the info for IE: Can't Connect: Internet Explorere Survival Guide

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 12 August 2008 - 07:01 PM.

Ahimsa

Ahimsa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks for helping me Ron. Here are your questions and my answers.

1) Please include your type of Internet connection: dial up, DSL, broadband and any steps you have taken to correct problem. Especially if you used any software to clean files/Registry just before problem started.
It's DSL, about 900 kbps download, 450 kbps upload. I'll cover the history of the problem correction at the end.

2) Using any security programs like McAfee or Norton which had updates prior to problems starting?
I'll cover this in the history.

3) If you use any IM programs, do they connect ok?
I haven't used any IM programs.

4) Using a proxy? Proxy check:

> open IE
> click on Tools
> click on Internet Options
> click Connections tab
> click on LAN settings
> there should be no check mark on all boxes
> click Apply to save settings

There were no check marks.

5) Try clearing the cache for all browsers you use. Go to each web site you're having problems with. When it seems to have completed loading, press Ctrl + F5 and see if full site loads.

I cleared the cache. Sometimes Ctl-F5 worked, but mostly not.

6) Run through the info for IE: Can't Connect: Internet Explorere Survival Guide

I did not do this yet, but I will if you still want me to after you read the history.

Here's the history of the problem and what I've done to attempt to correct it. It started with ad.yieldmanager.com redirecting me to its ad website when I tried to access some but not all webpages. The Geeks to Go website posted a fix. (See http://www.geekstogo...k-yahoo-mail/.) In an email to someone else Geeks to Go also recommended installing and running Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and deleting whatever comes up. I followed both of these suggestions with the result that ad.yieldmanager.com no longer redirected me, but a pop-up kept appearing asking me if I wanted to navigate from the current site, which was purported to be ad.yieldmanger.com but really wasn't, to a trusted site named in the pop-up. I said "no" and went into tools/internet options/restricted sites and added ad.yieldmanager.com. This appeared to solve the problem, but, in fact, has not.
This brings me to the present problem that I posted here, for which I have some more information. Just before each time I get the webpage access error message, at the bottom of the page I see a URL containing "ad.yieldmanager.com" which appears quickly and disappears as I'm navigating to the page with the error. So, it appears that the ad.yieldmanager.com problem has not gone away; it has simply morphed into another manifestation.

Thanks again Ron.

Pat

Ahimsa

Ahimsa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Please close this topic. I have new information and will post in the Malware category.

Pat

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
OK. Sorry for not getting back sooner. FEMA forced another move on me. I would have recommended the Malware section after reading what you posted anyway. Seems ad.yieldmanager.com has been giving lots of people problems according to a Google search on it.

Good luck to you, Pat.

Ron

Ahimsa

Ahimsa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks Ron. I appreciate the time and expertise that you gave to my problem. -- Pat