Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Laptop wants system restore disk but can't find any hardware

• Please log in to reply

Tahim79

Tahim79

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
My nephew's laptop will not move an inch from an message at boot the says "Insert system disk in drive." I have tried to put in my copy of windows XP but that doesn't even work because it can't find any harddrives and then exits and reboots and I'm back to square 1. Any advice Please.

Thanks
Sony

Advertisements

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Sounds like the hard drive may have problems...Is there any chance you could put it in a USB caddy and plug it into another computer?

Tahim79

Tahim79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
That sounds like a good Idea! I'll give that a shot but that might not work. But you never know.
P.S. I'm an Idiot when it comes to computers so please explain!

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
If you can read the hard drive in a caddy, then the drive should be good. While it's in the caddy, it would also be a good idea to back up any data on the drive if possible.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,305 posts
What you will need is a USB enclosure that will accept a 2.5 inch hard drive. That is what is in the laptop. The thought is for you to then plug it in to another computer to see if you can read the drive. If you can, then get all of his data from it. After that point, we can attempt a repair on the laptop.

We will need to know what OS is onn the laptop to proceed.

Tahim79

Tahim79

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
sounds good guys I'll give that a shot. The OS for the laptop is XP. I'll check it out in a bit

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
oh, sorry :) I didn't realize that that's what you were after. :)