Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

C&C First Decade DVD Won't Load

• Please log in to reply

GoCompute

GoCompute

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
Everytime I put in the First Decade DVD it won't even load, and My Computer shows theres nothing in it. If I try to access my DVD drive it just loads and loads forever. My drive supports duel-layer discs and everything. I even fresh installed Vista and it still will not work. However, it does work on my XP machine and my other Vista machine. I know my DVD drive isn't the problem since I was able to load other discs without a problem.

Advertisements

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
I've had a similar problem recently with Rainbow Six Vegas 2 and my Samsung SH-203P.

Have you got the latest firmware for the drive installed?

Is the disk clean and free of scratches?

Edited by ZEUS_GB, 13 August 2008 - 02:12 AM.

GoCompute

GoCompute

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Yes, I fresh installed Vista so it should be good. It is a LG GSA-H12N. This is really disppointing - I was very eager to play the games.

Edited by GoCompute, 13 August 2008 - 02:12 AM.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Firmware is a piece of software on a chip inside the DVD drive that sometimes needs updating.

Go to the LG service site, download the update and follow the instructions with it. Unfortunately I can't link straight to the file because of the way their site works.

I must warn you though if the update isn't done correctly then it could leave you with a broken drive.

Edited by ZEUS_GB, 13 August 2008 - 02:39 AM.

GoCompute

GoCompute

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Oh how lovely - they don't have my model on their selection.

edit: from what I can see anyways.

Edited by GoCompute, 13 August 2008 - 02:50 AM.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
I found what appears to be an update for your drive on Softpedia.

http://drivers.softp...ware-UL12.shtml

It also appears to be newer than the UL02 version on the LG site, I used the UK as my country.

GoCompute

GoCompute

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Ok I'll try it, I've screwed it up a bit from doing so much repair tricks. This is new to me, I tried installing a driver suggested at the EA site and all I got was a .bin file and it made my Computer recognize it as a CD-only drive. I'll reinstall (again) and try this. I'll post back with the results.

edit: get this. Both of my Vista machines are almost identical (one has a better graphics card and RAM) and it has the same DVD drive as my computer that isn't working. The computer that does work was also fresh installed about a month ago with no updates. Can you have a faulty drive where it only reads some discs?

Edited by GoCompute, 13 August 2008 - 03:03 AM.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Yes certain optical drives can have problems reading certain manufacturers disks, certain game/program disks and can also be effected by the quality of the disk. Firmware updates can sometimes fix this problem.

I had an 16x LG DVD-ROM drive in 2004 and it refused to read the Far Cry disk. This is after i'd installed it OK and had been playing the game for several hours. There was no firmware update so that left me with one option, buy another drive.

GoCompute

GoCompute

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Okay the firmware installer says it can't find the target drive. If it helps, this came with a Acer system.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Is the PC your using an Acer? If so what model number?

Advertisements

GoCompute

GoCompute

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Is the PC your using an Acer? If so what model number?

It is an Acer Aspire T180. (rather low end I know, we've upgraded it a few times)

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
I've looked through the European support site and their FTP site and I can't find any firmware updates for the drive. That leaves us with the LG support site again.

What country do you live in?

GoCompute

GoCompute

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

I've looked through the European support site and their FTP site and I can't find any firmware updates for the drive. That leaves us with the LG support site again.

What country do you live in?

The US

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Go here to the US LG service site, click device driver link, use DVD-ROM(writer) for the product, Vista for the O/S and gsa-h12n for the subject. Please read the instructions on the site before doing anything!

Edited by ZEUS_GB, 13 August 2008 - 05:24 AM.

GoCompute

GoCompute

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Still no joy, shows it cannot find target drive.

edit: I tried it on my other Vista machine, and it also shows it can't find it.

Edited by GoCompute, 13 August 2008 - 09:25 AM.